Letrozole wait time

5-6 week wait for masectomy & diep flap surgery. Stage 2 breast cancer. Will letrozole stop it spreading whilst waiting? Long wait found on mammogram January 10th

Hi sondy

Thanks for posting on our forum

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our helpline is open until 4pm today.

If you do phone our helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Jayne

Ask Our Nurses administrator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Hi Sandy its such a worrying time and wait times for treatment are a post code lottery
I was diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer in both breasts in early sept 22 and was told I had to wait 3 months for my mastectomy op ( no reconstruction )and given a mid Dec surgery date. Despite promises from admissions they would try and bring forward nothing happend for weeks so I complained officially to the CEO of my local trust and they managed a Nov date. All I was worried like you but reassured by my surgeon that the elapsed time would not impact the spread. I would say keep on fighting and asking questions. I am on letrozole now post op and chemo and currently considering a post surgery Diep and so would like to hear how you get on. Good luck

Hello, the wait for me was 6 - 7 months from when I found the lump (Jan 23). I had a lumpectomy first (March) then they found grade 3 lobular and I had a three month wait for mastectomy. I was terrified that it would spread. I was not on Letrozole until 6 weeks or so after the second op. I also had a very long wait for radiotherapy, another 18 weeks. It is ridiculous but they are doing the best they can with limited resources. I am no expert but I think grade 2 is less likely or slower to spread (than grade 3) and I was told by my macmillan nurse that ‘it’ doesn’t grow that quickly. If you are already on Letrozole that has to be a good thing. Keep on at them and talk through your concerns. It is horrendous waiting and it is natural to worry about delays. I hope you get sorted soon xx

Hi. Thank you. This sadly is my 3rd time on left breast. Be glad to have it removed. It just seems im holding out on a tiny little pill. Reassuring to know that it is holding it off. So worry about metastases. I know with demand high resources are stretched. Just messes with your head as the weeks press on. Best Wishes

Yes worrying waiting. Sorry to hear both breasts. This is my 3rd time same breast over 34 years. I think wait is long as having to get 2 teams together. Just to wonder if Letrozole will hold this thing off while i wait a few more weeks. Referred to plastics 30th Jan. I will update after op. Hope its end of April

1 Like

My sister was diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer a year ago in February. Her surgery didn’t happen until mid May! We were very concered about it spreading. Apparently most breast cancers are slow growing (we were told), and after the surgery, my sister had radiation. It has been a year now and she is cancer free! Try not to worry too much about the wait. Get involved in some activities that you enjoy (my sister and I painted several of her rooms), and also try talking to others who have been through the same thing. That is really what help my sister the most!! Good luck to you!! <3

Hi. That is good news. Glad your sister is doing ok now. I hope it is slow growing or stunted. The wait just seems very long from January. Just pleased had mammogram January. 3 year screening is too long with 2 previous. At least I am on Letrozole. I am unable to have radiotherapy as had that the first time when I was 28. I am off work as tablets affecting my concentration & fatigue. Also work in mental health Trying to get myself fit for this mammoth operation. Diep Flap Sufgery. Best wishes for your sister.

Hello sondy,

Thanks for posting.

A wait for surgery can be difficult. Sometimes there will be a slightly longer wait for reconstruction.

Aromatase inhibitors like letrozole are usually prescribed after surgery as @pearly1960 has described, with the aim of reducing the risk of the cancer coming back. It looks as though you have started letrozole while you wait for surgery. This is known as neoadjuvant endocrine therapy.

Treatment is agreed by the multi-disciplinary team so you could contact your treatment team to ask the purpose of you starting this now. It may be because of the wait you have before surgery, but they can confirm this for you.

In a later post you explain having difficulty with concentration and fatigue our information about both these may be helpful.

Also, we have a Facebook Live video that explores fatigue.

You may be interested in the range of free services we offer. In particular our Someone Like Me service where you can peak to someone who has had similar treatment and reconstruction to you

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.**

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.