Local recurrence anxiety

Hi all, I had lobular breast cancer 18yrs ago. Two lumpectomy’s chemo and rads. Lately I notice the scar and area around the scar is red and feels lumpy. Has anyone had similar with local recurrence? My anxiety is through the roof as my daughter gets her biopsy results tomorrow for a suspicious lump. Feel like I’m in some sort of nightmare, I don’t want to worry her more than she already is.

5 Likes

Hi @bluebell8

My local recurrence wasn’t red but was lumpy, painful and felt a bit angry and hot, kind of like how you might expect an abscess to feel.

I’d definitely get this checked if I were you but I understand you not wanting to worry your daughter. Are you able to start the process without telling her just yet?

Sending best wishes for her results tomorrow. x

1 Like

Thanks so much, sorry you had recurrence and hope you’re doing okay. Mine feels very lumpy but I had scar opened up twice but it was the redness that got my attention then I started prodding and thought Oh no!

I’m going to try get a drs appointment Tuesday without her knowing. My biggest concern is for her, she had birad score of 4 she’s only 28.

I’m just worried if I’m in trouble I won’t be able to give her the support she needs. I’ve got myself in a bit of a state with it all. Keeping everything crossed she has good news tomorrow I’ll be right there with her xx

5 Likes

Hi Bluebell definitely get yourself checked out, no need to say anything to your daughter yet till you know if you need to. Hope your daughter is ok to. Big hugs xxxx

3 Likes

Well daughter has breast cancer and from their examination mine has come back.

Couldn’t of been much worse x

2 Likes

Sadly my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer today. The consultant took a look at me and wants biopsies but says it does look like it’s back. Can’t get my head around it all yet. X

5 Likes

Hi @bluebell8

I have no useful words so I’m sending you a tight embrace. x

1 Like

I am so sorry sending you my love to yourself and daughter xxxxxxx

1 Like

Gentle but heartfelt hugs to you and your daughter :hugs: :hugs:

1 Like

I can’t tell you how sorry I am to hear this. Don’t forget all the resources available to you through Breast Cancer Now and other charities such as Macmillan who are there to support you at this time.

Sending you all the very best to get through this. x

3 Likes

@bluebell8 so sorry to hear this. Sending love to you and your daughter xx

1 Like

@bluebell8 I echo everyone else, I am so so sorry you find yourself back in those waiting rooms receiving news like this. I cant imagine how anxious and worried you all are at the moment. I usually try to spin a positive into my replies here but for the moment I dont think you’ll want to hear that. Just remember that almost everything they find is treatable. Sending you both so much love and strength. We are all here with you both :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your kind words it really helps. My daughter is worried about me and I am about her. She’s only young. I can’t believe mine came back after 18yrs and at the same time as her dx. Wish it were just me. We have a great breast consultant who will be looking after both of us. She gave us both a big hug. So next step for daughter is genetic testing then mri. They still waiting for HER2 results so all that will depend on her treatment. I’m waiting for the ultrasound mammo biopsy appt to find out if mines same as last time ect. Daughter is ductal mines lobular. We both hoping it hasn’t spread in either of us! All so scary. Once again I really appreciate support and will keep you updated xxx

7 Likes

So sorry that you’re going through this all over again. Your consultant sounds lovely. I was diagnosed 11 years ago and again last year. My treatment the first time was good, but can I encourage you that treatment/care 10 years later was even better as they did one or two things differently but better. No one wants to be embarking on this journey - thinking of you both.

3 Likes

After 18 years - or 19 in my case - the shock of recurrence is huge because you think you’re safe from the danger. My tumour was behind my sternum so now chance of me feeling it. Also had bone mets - and three and a half years on, now have lesions in my liver. Hoping yours hasn’t spread - but what I can say for sure is that treatment has moved on so much, you’ll be amazed at what can be offered both you and your daughter. All the very best to you both.

5 Likes

Hi Hilary, I’m so sorry yours came back too after a long time and there was some spread. So glad you’re doing okay. If you don’t mind me asking how did they treat the sternum one? My main lump feels like it’s right on top of my sternum. Have my mammo ultrasound biopsy tomorrow. I’ll have to dig out my big brave girl pants! Lol daughter has her MRI tomorrow, she is coping well so far I’m pleased to say.

I hope your biopsy wasn’t too painful. I remember having to grit my teeth when they did mine! And that your daughter’s MRI went alright. I find the wait for results the worst bit.

I couldn’t feel the tumour behind my sternum - although my oncologist can. I was having a problem with getting breathless for no apparent reason. It was whilst that was being investigated that I had a CT scan and the cancer and mets showed up. Weirdly the breathlessness is not linked to the secondary breast cancer.

Treatment for the whole condition started with Ribociclib and Letrozole after blood tests. That worked for about two and a half years but for many it works longer. I have had two other drug regimes since then but now the cancer has become resistant to these treatments and I learned this week I have to move on to chemotherapy treatment. Fortunately tablets at this stage, not infusions, so still counting my blessings - whilst dreading the side effects.

What a journey! And no alternative but to move forward. Best wishes.

1 Like

Thanks Hilary

Glad you can have oral chemo this time. Hope it’s kind to you and does it’s job!

So the one behind your sternum was treated with drugs not surgery. They have mentioned about putting me on Letrozole. So two lumps were found in bad boob. On mammo. The biopsies felt like I’d been stung by ten wasps but wasn’t too bad. One more or less exactly where it was before and the other deeper inside. I’d not felt them as two lumpectomies and a lot of rads the whole boob is rock hard! The sternum area with the ultrasound she kept saying there’s so much scar tissue and rad damage it was difficult to see but she had seen something. Even a couple of others were having a look. So she said I need urgent ct scan to see what it is and if there’s any other spread. To keep my phone with me as I will get a call. Can’t even describe how I felt at that moment, obviously terrified now.

Daughter had mri and we’ll see consultant Monday. Think it’s sinking in now she’s been quite tearful. I have to keep upbeat for her.

Yes the waiting is torture.

2 Likes