Local recurrence treatment + scared and confused

Hello ,
I am new to the forum but unfortunately not to BC. Am diagnosed with local node negative recurrence after 4 years (2020/2024) and feeling scared and confused. My onc is proposing to repeat the treatment i had for the primary cancer so hoping anyone in a similar situation is willing to share their experience.
I have two small lumps 7mm her2+ er+ and 4 mm her2+ er-, treatment proposed taxane and trastuzemab and a shift from letrozole to taximofen (I am 56 and had a mastectomy this time).
I am finding it hard to have to do taxane chemo again, and given that the cancer came back why give the same treatment again?
Anyone who had Kadcyla for a local recurrence? or other expericences.

Much appreciate any responses, feel like I am rolling dice blindfolded.
Thank you
Snowy

3 Likes

hello there,
I’m so sorry you find yourself with a local recurrence.
I too had a local recurrence last year, sadly before I had completed my adjuvant treatment of herceptin for a year. My lumps were 5mm and 1mm both Her2 and oestrogen positive. I had a mastectomy to clear all breast tissue and have had my hormone treatment changed from anastrozole to exemestane. The Her2 receptor element doesn’t seem to be treated this time and my query about this has been ignored.
It seems so strange that across the country treatments vary so much. I like to think its because each tumour is treated individually but am not completely convinced.
I hope you find the treatment you decide on having do-able and successful and that someone else is able to answer your question about kadcylca
Take care and best wishes
RB

I was very anxious initially but

Thank you for your kind respons Sparrowhawk.
It is indeed confusing, I am being switched to Tamoxifen and have been advised also to have chemo and Trastuzumab again, Kadcyla is not an option.
There is most likely some individual treatment/views, I was told there are not many studies on local recurrences and the two opinions I sought did not agree on chemo, one for and one against.

Not looking forward to chemo and hair loss again, but will most likely forge ahead and trust that my body can take it.

Take care and wish you all the best!

1 Like

I am sure you will do really well with your chemo this time as you will be better prepared and know what to expect. The thought of hair loss yet again is so horrible and I hope if you decide to go down the cold capping route you find it effective. I will have my fingers crossed for you.
There really does seem to be little information about a local recurrence with no treatment protocols for it. Hopefully our teams will find effective treatment for us both:)
Wishing you all the very best. Will be thinking about you and sending virtual hugs xx

Welcome to the forum @sn0wy

I am sorry that you find yourself here, but glad that you have reached out.

I’m so sorry to hear about what you’re going through, it’s no wonder you feel scared and confused.

We have monthly chemo starter threads on the forum where people support each other and share their experiences. If you’re interested in joining or reading a thread, you can find them here: Latest Going through breast cancer treatment/Chemotherapy monthly threads topics - Breast Cancer Now forum.

We’re thinking of you,
Lucy