LOCalizer tag

Hello all. I’m due to have a lumpectomy in 2 weeks and I have an appointment next week to have a LOCalizer tag inserted in my breast.The LOCalizer’ system marks the lesion/area with a miniature radiofrequency Tag so that the surgeon can locate the lesion/area they need to remove on the day of your surgery. I was just wandering if anyone has had this done and how they felt afterwards. Apparently it’s like a biopsy. Thanks xxx

Hi @sarahjaneavfc yes I had it done back in September 2022. It is exactly like having a biopsy in that you get a little local anaesthetic and then just lay there whilst they locate the tumour and do the business. I suppose in a biopsy they’re taking something out whereas here they’re putting something in but the process is the same. I had a mammogram straight after to check that it was in the right place so the usual squishing but it wasn’t any more uncomfortable than a normal mammogram. I had mine done the afternoon before surgery and straight after also had the radioactive isotope injected around the nipple so that the sentinel lymph node could be identified. That was a little less pleasant but was over quickly. I was grateful to have it actually because it meant that the tumour was small. You’ll be fine honestly.

Thankyou for replying. Ive also got to have the dye injection the day before surgery. Did you have much blue left in your body after? :kissing_heart:

Hi

I had a magseed fitted last September and a mammogram immediately after to make sure it was in the correct place. Dye injected day before the operation, I had no blue colour in me but not sure what my surgeon uses. None of it was as bad as the biopsies I had at the very beginning of this hope.

Hope you get yours with little discomfort

Xx

1 Like

I had the radio frequency tag. It was like having the biopsy and wasnt uncomfortable afterwards. Just had a little dressing on. The isotope injection was fine and i was in nuclear medicine department for all of 5 minutes. They do the blue dye once you’ve been anaesthetised and i had blue wee and a blue boob afterwards. The blue faded after a couple of days. You’ll be fine. I’d never had an op before and was scared, but it really was okay. X

1 Like

Nope @sarahjaneavfc don’t remember being blue or having blue wee. All of these things they ply us with are temporary. As you can see from the replies, it’s all quite common and very doable.

1 Like

Thankyou so much for your reply, i feel abit better now i know what to expect xxx

Thankyou for reply i feel better now i know what to expect

1 Like

Thankyou xxx :kissing_heart:

I received the tag while sitting up at the diagnostic mammogram machine. The radiologist inserted the wire prior to my lumpectomy. It was painless. Received the blue dye for removal of sentinel nodes on another occasion a couple of hours before surgery. The injection was painless too. It took less than a day for my breast to lose the blue color. Neither procedure is a big deal and it doesn’t take that long. Hope all goes well for you.

1 Like

Thankyou so much for your reply and making me panic less about the procedures xxx hope you are well xxx

Your are welcome. Thank you for asking about me too. Keep me updated on your progress. We are in this together.

1 Like

Hi Sarah, I had the mag seed think it’s the same procedure I don’t remember it being uncomfortable and no blue dye where I had it done. Good luck I hope it all goes really well for you :blush:

1 Like

Yes I had the mag seed as well. As others have said just like a biopsy. I found the injection of local the stingy bit. I had no real brusing after the mag seed whereas I did with the biopsy.

Mine was done about a week before the operation. I didn’t have the blue injection as I was having all my nodes removed (I had chemo first). Wishing you all the best for your operation- if it helps I found it easier than I thought I would!! :blush:

1 Like

I had a lumpectomy and SLNB on January 31st complete with the blue dye. Blue wee for 3 days and three and a half weeks later I still have a blue breast. No pain at all from the lumpectomy but a lot of pain for two weeks from the SLNB. Now waiting for results on the 7th.

1 Like

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to me. Hope you are well xxx

Thankyou so much for your reply, i hope all goes well with your recovery and results xxx

1 Like

Hi,
I had this done before my surgery, after surgery, they left it there. I saw this on my first annual mammogram. Sorry I was late in responding to this and I am sure you are ok after it. Good luck with your surgery. X