Locally Advanced BC - collar bone

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed and at 31 years old with a 7 year old daughter, I am terrified. I have been diagnosed with locally advanced breast cancer, with the cancer having spread to the lymphnodes in the armpit and above the collarbone. CT scans have shown there is no spread elsewhere. I know I have grade 3 cancer, but I have no idea about staging.

I am struggling to find other people with a similar diagnosis - i.e. spread to the collarbone. I know that locally advanced breast cancer is quite rare for a first diagnosis. Has anyone else had a diagnosis like this and can share some positive outcomes? I am due to start chemo in a few weeks but I am terrified of my survival rates being much lower, the recurrance rate being higher and the cancer spreading before treatment can be effective.

Any shared experiences or insight would be much appreciated. I am trying to get myself ready for the fight ahead. Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi. I am 68 years old so much older than you. I have triple negative breast cancer which had advanced locally into my lymph nodes in my armpit. There was nothing in my Breast. I had chemo and immunotherapy which reduced and stabilized the cancer in the lymph nodes. I am now going to have surgery to remove all the lymph nodes and to remove the breast, to hopefully prevent recurrence. I a wondering if you will be the same, but will also need lymph nodes in your neck removing. I would advise you to either ask the nurses from breast cancer now or your oncologist a bit more about what the plan is for you.

1 Like

Hi
I was diagnosed straight to Stage 4 six years ago when I was 61
It was found in my Lung and lymph nodes in armpit
I had surgery to remove the affected area in my lung 4monthlu scans have remained stable since :pray:
A couple of years ago I found a lump in my clavical (collarbone) too
I had radiotherapy to the area which has shrunk the Tumour
I have been taking Palbociclib and Letrozole only for 6 years but recently cells have been found in my skin which I have just had electro chemotherapy to that area
Please try stay positive as there’s lots of treatments out there xxx

3 Likes

Hi @jays93

Sorry you find yourself here! I didn’t have quite the same diagnosis - had positive nodes under my armpit - but I am sure there will be others with a similar diagnosis to you I wanted to suggest Breast Cancer Now’s ‘Someone Like Me’ scheme, whereby you can be put in touch with someone who has a similar diagnosis. I think you can either apply through the website or call the main number. Sending you lots of hugs x

3 Likes

Hi I was 35 when I was diagnosed with triple negative witch is rare aswell. I have 7 children i had just had a baby he was 3 weeks old I also had it in my lymph nods under my arm nothing in coller bone though. I started with chemo then radiotherapy then surgery the surgery wasn’t to bad tbh but I’m not going to lie the lymph nodes under the arm removal is painful. And the wait and things is scary but you have got this stay positive. Good luck take care x

1 Like

Hi, it’s so worrying at the beginning, honestly it’s the worst bit of it all!! You’ll know more soon and learn lots as you go through this rubbish stage in your life. You’ll find that there are so many new treatments out there! I won’t say “don’t worry” but try to keep positive xxx

2 Likes

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I do hope your children can get support from organisations that help young people who often become carers to their mums and dads when serious illness strikes. Please get all the help you and your family can.

Seagulls

Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I’m waiting to hear about the amount of lymph nodes involved as I’ve just had them all removed. I have 3 young children. It’s a scary time but as others have said, there is s lot that can be done and the drs will sort you out! How did they find it in collar bone? I have a swelling there but they havent checked it. No scans. Have you got family and friends who can help you and the kids through this tricky time? There is lots of support on here and Breast Cancer Now maybe able to find you someone to talk to in a similar situation. X

Hi I didn’t even notice untill I had my last appointment with oncology that one was removed from my
Chest bone I only knew about lymph nods under arm. And my husband has been great threw it all bless him xx