LOOKING FOR LARGE CUP MASTECTOMY BRA

Hi

I am due surgery in 3 weeks and cannot find any mastectomy bras anywhere!  I am a size 36J, I am having a mastectomy and having reconstruction at a later date.  I cannot believe that I am the only woman size 36J having a mastectomy so why am I finding it so difficult finding a bra?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mrs007 and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and information you will soon find here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support so please feel free to call on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘A confident choice’ booklet which contains information about lingerie following surgery along with suppliers details, hope this helps:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-prostheses-bras-clothes-after-surgery-bcc123

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thanks Lucy, I have tried all the companies in the brochure & more on the internet without any success.

Hi Mrs007

Please do call and ask our helpliners as they may have had the same request from other people and will hopefully be able to help you further

Good luck
Lucy

Have you asked your BCN? They often have contacts.

Hi,

I had my mastectomy 3 weeks ago and haven’t yet looked for a mastectomy bra. At the moment I go bra-less at home (I’m F cup) and just put the softie prosthesis in my ordinary bra when I go out. This works OK and I get a decent shape. My bra is by Royce and is called Grace. It’s actually a maternity bra but I’ve worn the same style for years as it’s very comfortable and supportive but non wired. Not sure if it goes to a J cup.

My BCN did advise not to rush out and get mastectomy bras pre-surgery but to wait until after the op and for the swelling to go down.

Hi , I am a 42J and can really sympathise , despite what everyone says it is really , really difficult to find any suitable bras . I had my mastectomy in January and gave up on trying to find a true mastectomy bra . Instead I just wear the normal bras that I buy from M&S but I use a bra extender to make sure that they are not too tight on my scar . They are nonwired support bras and they sell the larger cup sizes on line only which is a pain , but I have worn them for a while so know they fit and are comfortable .

NicolaJane sell pockets , that you can sew into your own bras , or they will do it for you at a price . I have not bothered with either to be honest , and just wear my prosthesis in the bra cup , I do place a pure silk scarf against my scar though to stop it being rubbed , and it is very soothing . You can also buy cotton covers for your prosthesis if you prefer . Nicola Jane also sell these . If you are having a recon later I wouldn’t bother with a proper pocketed bra myself , but of course it is your choice .

Sadly I am due for a second mastectomy either next week or the week after , so have decided I am going for the Flat and Fabulous look instead , as I hate my prosthesis .
Good luck with your surgery …
Hugs,
Jill xx

I don’t know where you live but Womanzone might be able to help they are on the web so you could contact them . i found them better than Nicola Jane.

Thanks for the tip about silk.

I do find it rubs quite a bit at the moment and my scar is still not properly healed. And for something that’s called a “softie” it is pretty firm - much perter than remaining boob! 

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have decided to get a maternity bra as I cannot get a mastectomy bra anywhere. I have an appt tmrw with Bravissimo. I will also be investing in a silk scarf for comfort - thanks for that tip! xxx

Back from Bravissimo got 2 maternity bras to try after the op, fingers crossed they work! Thank you for all your advice. x

Jill,

What size of silk scarf do you recommend? x