Losing my nipple

Hello all me again. I hope you dont mind but im full of questions and experiences this week. I’m having a lumpectomy in two weeks, and I now know I’m losing my nipple. I was just wandering if this is any different from a normal lumpectomy and how more painful and different looking it would be as to a normal side lumpectomy. Thankyou all xxx

Hello!

I had a lumpectomy with removal of my nipple 18 months ago. My lump was right behind my nipple so I sort of knew from the start I would lose it.

My scar is just straight across and very neat. I actually think now I’m glad this is where my lump was as I’ve lost very little volume if you know what I mean? In clothes/a bra you can hardly see any difference at all (if that’s something that you are worried about).

In terms of recovery I don’t know if it makes any difference. I had a slight infection caused by a stubborn stitch trying to get to the surface but very quickly got it sorted. I had an axillary node clearance at the same time and I found this more painful recovery wise. All in all though the recovery for the whole op was a lot easier than I expected.

You may also be offered nipple reconstruction/tattooing down the line. At the minute I’m leaving mine as it is but may consider it in the future.

Any further questions I’m happy to answer if I can :blush:

1 Like

Hi I had surgery in June I don’t have a nipple tbh doesn’t bother me looks strange to start with but u get used to it it isn’t painful xx

1 Like

I had a lumpectomy a year ago, The tumour was right behind the nipple so I had to lose it. To be honest I felt really pressured by the plastic surgeons to have reconstruction but I was 74 at the time and didn’t feel it was that important. All I wanted was the tumour gone. When I’m wearing a bra you wouldn’t notice the difference. The scar is very neat and it has caused me no problems at all. Best of luck to you. xxx

1 Like

Thankyou so much for replying. I have been worried about this.

Thankyou so much for replying :heartbeat:

Thankyou so much :heartbeat: