Lump in armpit 5 months after auxillary node clearance

I was diagnosed with stage 2 lobular mybreast cancer 6 months ago and had smx and 3 lymph nodes removed.
There was no spread to lymph nodes so I am now just on 5 yrs Tamoxifen.
I was checking my reconstructed breast and armpit and found a small lump under my armpit incision scar.
I’m sure it’s just a bit of scar tissue and I dont want to overreact.
It’s also very hard to tell what is what now as I had an expander implant reconstruction with mesh sling and my new boob is very hard and obviously full of foreign objects !
Should I bother to get it checked ?

Hi Caron

I would absolutely get it checked, if nothing else but to put your mind at rest. As you say if could well be scar tissue from your reconstruction but don’t take any chances. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Hi caron, I 100% agree with other response. You need to have this checked out. Discuss with your bcn and they will see you if they are at all concerned. It probably will be scar tissue. You will no doubt keep worrying if you dont get it checked
Hope all is okay x

1 Like

Hi caron

Thank you for posting.

It’s good to hear you continue to be breast aware and you have now found a small lump near the incision scar under the arm. Scar tissue forms around the wound as part of the body’s natural healing process.

You say you don’t want to overact. However, as @Sandra_Grant mentions it’s worth getting any new or persistent changes checked out with your treatment team.

You may be interested in our booklet After breast cancer treatment: what now? It includes information on follow-up care and being breast and body aware.

You may be interested in our Moving Forward resources that are for people who have had a diagnosis of primary breast cancer and have come to the end of their main hospital treatment within the last 2 years. They include our Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.

Through supportive, open conversations in a safe, confidential space, you’ll connect with people who understand. You’ll also find the tools you need to feel more empowered, confident and in control to begin to move forward with your life.

You can attend Moving Forward either at our face-to-face course or take part by joining online. Find a course near you or register for an online course via the links above or call us on 03457 077 1893.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters so if language translation is required you can also call 0808 800 6000

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.