Lumps and bumps

Hello everyone.

I’m new here, have been searching the internet for anything I can find really and hope that maybe someone out there has been through something similar to me and can reassure me a little…

I’m 36 years old and about 10 years ago I found a lump, which ended up being a fiberadenoma and I had it removed. In July this year I noticed that one of my breasts had grown. I have to admit, at first I was quite happy and wished that the other one would catch up! Then I read somewhere that it may be a sign of something not too nice and went off to the doctor. He sent me for blood tests, thinking it was hormonal but those came back normal. The next doctor sent me off to the breast clinic, telling me that it was probably something to do with my age and everything changing shape once you pass 35, but that we should check. At my first appointment (1st Oct) the consultant did an ultrasound and said that I had no cysts and no lumps, it was probably my age, but they were going to do a mammogram anyway.

The results of the mammo showed ‘something’ but they weren’t sure what, but they weren’t tumors and they thought they were cysts and they sent me for an ultrasound. I had that done on Tuesday this week, and they’re not cysts, they’re tumors. I have to admit I panicked. I went back to the consultant on Friday and apparently I have a lot of lumps in both breasts (about 8 or 10 in total) and the biggest ones are 2 cm. They think that they’re fiberadonomas, but can’t be sure and the next stage is a core biopsy. One of the things that scares me is that I’ve gone from not being able to feel any lumps, to feeling a mass in both breasts in 3 months. I’ve gone from them telling me that there are ‘no lumps or cysts’ to having at least 8 in 2 months. I’ve gone from them ‘not being tumors’ to them being tumors in a month.

I’m so scared… and maybe that’s silly. Maybe I’m blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Is it silly to say that I’m not sure how I should be reacting to all of this? The consultant told me that once you have one fiberadenoma you’re more likely to have more as your breast obviously produces them.

Thank you for reading this, and any help would be gratefully received.

Hello Carla
Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums. I am sorry you are having such a difficult time at the moment. Please feel free to contact our free phone helpline on 0808 800 6000 if you would like to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling. Everyone on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer or is a breast care nurse. The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, so callers get to talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues they’re facing.
The team is able to talk about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer and breast health.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

Kind regards,
Jo, Moderator

Hello

No of course you’re not blowing this up out of proportion and I’m not surprised you’re scared. Waiting for tests and test results is really scary. Most people with breast cancer present with one lump or perhaps two or three, but that information is probably of no comfort.

It sounds as though you are in good hands and the core biopsy is certainly the next step. If I were you I would ask how they can be sure that if one lump is benign that the others are also.

Hope you get some answers very soon and that your lumps are benign

best wishes

Jane