Lumpy breast following radiotherapy

I completed radiotherapy to my left breast 28th Oct 2013 and am currently havin Herceptin every 3 weeks. Recently I have noticed that my breast is quite lumpy and smaller than the other one. I am a bit anxious about local recurrence and would value any advice/support.

Thank you

Hi Mac123

I am sorry to read you’re feeling a little anxious. I’m sure some of the others users will be along soon to offer you their support and experiences. In the mean time you might find it helpful to give the BCC helpline call and talk things through with a member of staff.  Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open today from 10 to 2pm and weekdays 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator  

I finished my radiotherapy in November and my breast is still changing. I had my post radio appointment with the onc last week and he said it is perfectly normal for it to feel a bit lumpy bumpy after surgery and radio. Also I am on tamoxifen which I’ve heard can cause thickening and lumps - possibly herceptin will too?

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know!) as they will monitor you closely but do ask for an appointment if you need to put your mind at rest.

Lucy xx

Hi , me too almost to the point that thinking my cancer has returned already …! Week after my radiotherapy finished feeling very sore and lumpy :slight_smile: … well get there Hun x

No I perhaps shouldn’t but having a glass of wine or two , I think I’ve earned it X

I’m halfway through rads, been ill and have a lumpy armpit. Told it could be the rads. Had to have another ultrasound this week on it. All clear but was even scarier than first time round!

Hi mac123 I also completed rt in October and my scar was very smooth until I finished rt, hope this helps you

I havent even had radiotherapy yet and feel  like my lump is still there although I had surgery to remove it on the 31 Jan. I have been old it will be scar tissue but how would I know the difference?

Hi cortina, that’s what mine is to scar tissue , it was just really smooth until I had rt but when I asked the surgeon she said everyone is different and some people have it after surgery and others it just appears later but mine just came after rt, I had my first mammogram this month so it put me at ease a bit , I suppose I’ll just need to get used to the lumps and bumps , try not to worry xx