lymph nodes??

Hi…

When I was diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma 3 weeks ago I had an ultra sound on my lymph nodes but they appeared to be clear, I then had a core biopsy taken that also came back clear, ive had my masectomy last wednesday and 3 lymph nodes were taken out and were tested while I was in theatre…if they came back positive I would of had them removed at the same time but they were negative! So…everything has now been sent away for the proper testing and im still worrying that its in my lymph nodes and will have to have another op to remove them before I start my treatment…if they do come back with cancer cells does this mean that its likely to of spread elsewehere? Thanks xx

Hi 4littlecherubs,

While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users, could I suggest you give our helpline team here a ring, they’re here to support you through this and are only too happy to answer any questions you may have.  Calls are free  0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi 4littlecherubs, sorry you have BC and find yourself here. I think the fact that the nodes look clear is really positive, yes there is a chance that there could be cancer cells but the fact that the biopsy was clear and the others look clear is good. No it doesn’t mean that the cancer has spread anywhere else. I thought the same when I was diagnosed. I had 1 with cancer in which showed on the scan and biopsy so knew before surgery so had node clearance then after surgery another looked suspicious and I was convinced it was everywhere. The suspicious one and 14 others were clear. There are many who have node positive BC some with quite a few affected and are doing well. I had grade 2  and was diagnosed 6 years ago and (as far as I know) I’m fine. Wishing you all the best with your results and remember node positive does not mean it’s spread :slight_smile: XX

Hi, I had 3 nodes removed alongside my MX. Only one had cancer cells in it - and as that had been removed, it couldn’t spread anywhere. So if your nodes appear clear at the moment, it would seem you are safe from having them removed. Otherwise they would have found some in the sentinal nodes.

Hi 4littlecherubs

I am similar to you, had a single mastectomy in August, my lymph nodes have been benign with all tests and they just took 3 when I had surgery, just to make sure, and luckily everything came back benign! But like you, you never stop worrying and the waiting is the worst time!! Unfortunately because of the size of my tumour, over 7cm, I’m having 6 cycles of chemotherapy, just ‘belts and braces’, not pleasant, but reassuring that any tiny nasty cells that might be left will be destroyed!

Hope you hear soon of your results. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Dawn xx

Hi dawn,
Thank you for your reply, yes I also have to have chemo tho im not yet sure how many cycles, also tamoxifen and radio as apparently im ‘young’ and pre menopausal? ? At 44 I certainly dont feel very young haha :slight_smile: I think once I get my results out the way next tuesday and have my treatment plan I will start to feel a little better.
How are you managing with chemo?
(((Hugs))) xx

Hi little cherub l had my 2nd chemo session 22nd October and have found the SE far better than the 1st dunking no sickness etc  it is not easy but doable if you take the meds that the doctor gives you trust me you will be fine.  I am using the cold cap no hair loss after 1st session but lost a little after the 2nd session not had to. grab the wig as yet.LoL. Take care and good luck cherub.xx p.s I had lumpectomy with clear margins and no affected lymph nodes but still recommended chemo followed by rads and herceptin for a year by the. By the box to mop up. Xx 

Hi little cherub herceptin is given when you are HER2 positive and can only

Be given with chemo.  You will be fine on chemo and you have your lovely children to keep you busy.

XX

Hello 4littlecherubs

I was diagnosed on 3 October with Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

My hospital has been great.  I had my operation last Friday which included WLE and SLNB.  I was so frightened about the operation mainly because I was worried about how I was going to cope looking after myself when I got home from hospital (live alone with no family or close friends).

I couldn’t be happier and was amazed about how little pain I experienced after my operation.  I could move my shoulder and left arm easily and was able to start my exercises the following morning when I woke up in hospital.

The anaesthetist gave me morphine and regional nerve blockers during surgery which have been extremely effective in controlling any pain.  Fantastic painkillers.

I’m now waiting for my detailed pathology report on 7 November.

At the moment I feel calm and relaxed having got the operation out of the way but as the 7th gets closer I know the high anxiety will return when I go to see my breast surgeon for the results.

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting for results.

Wishing you good luck.

M   

Thank you magical moon :heart:
I know…everyone on here is amazing! There is so much information to take in and ive come home from appointments without a clue but have been able to come on here for answers! So glad I found it! :slight_smile:
xx