Lymphodema early signs?

Im 26 and was diagnosed at 24 with ER+ PR- HER- IDC on my right side.

I had 6 lymphnodes removed in total. 3 with the mastectomy 3 with axillary lymphnode clearance.

Id say over the last maybe 2-3 months ive had with lump/bump or swelling on my forearm of the affect side come and go. Its tender and was no bigger than a 50p but its come up again and its maybe a little bigger and a bit more painful.

As its the weekend i cant see the GP until tomorrow but was worried that this could be the start of lymphodema as I was warned by my breast nurse it could happen.

Any one with any advice or has lymphodema could share some info on how it started I’d be very thankful.

Thanks in advance :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi KirstieF
I had double mastectomy, then a month later axillary clearance on left, and tidying of dog ears.
My lymphoedema arrived about 6 weeks later, but it was more a case of noticing a very uniform swelling from elbow down to a very puffy, tight hand - back, palm, base of thumb and fingers up to middle joint on each. It wasn’t actually painful apart from the stiffness of fingers. I expect that, as with everything, it’s different for each person. Don’t know if this should, or does, reassure you but happy to offer my experience. Fingers crossed that it is not lymphoedema causing your swelling, but if it is, don’t be afraid. It takes a bit of getting used to psychologically and in managing it effectively, but it’s do-able. Good luck with it all.

1 Like