Macmillan and patients

Hi.

Im wondering if someone on here help answer this question that I can’t get a direct answer which is, what do certain charities, like Macmillan provide for cancer patients?

We’ve all seen cancer charities that encourage people to donate or raise money for the cause, which is great, but what does that money go on to do or provide.

I thought that if you have cancer, that the monies raised would go towards helping patients with the practical day to day aids; such as vouchers or subsidy towards prosthesis or bras, wigs etc…if a patient needed help with these costs as they’re not cheap.

I thought it was something you could apply for to the charity and use your NI or Oncology details as verification, but this is not the case.
I know Macmillan can give you a means tested financial help for bills and household costs, but not things like this.
I have contacted Macmillan on this and I didn’t get an answer as to why they don’t.

It just seems strange to me that people raise all this money and none of it goes towards aiding cancer patients in this much needed way.
That said, i have found Macmillan very helpful on advice, where my breastcare nurses aftercare have failed, but surely the whole point of fundraising was for those suffering or have I got the wrong end of the stick with this?

I know Marie Curie is palative care, so I can see that pays for nurses through the night assistance and equipment. Equally Cancer Research possibly scientists, hospital machines, so that all makes sense, but not other charities, particularly Macmillan.

Responses appreciated.

Its more a support charity i think…theres a macmillan weekly suppirt group in my area…the money raised pays for support staff…hiring venue…coffees etc…they supported me to apply for pip …with the forms etc …no financial support as in paying for things…but will signpost you re benefits

1 Like

Hi
I got a subsidised wig through Macmillan, and loads of support and help from Breast Cancer Now. Both provide telephone support, and Breast Cancer Now provide makeup support for those losing hair, nails etc support research and put on events. I used Breast Cancer Now more than Macmillan so have more idea of the things they provide, It was definitely Breast Cancer Now that got me through my treatment. Liz

4 Likes

From speaking to a McMillan support worker they offer a one off payment to treat yourself( must have below certain £££ of savings)
They kinda offer support groups in certain areas.
Alot of phone support, advice on benefits/ emotional support.
I finished a wellbeing type course with them for younger women with breast cancer,I waited 2 years for it.

I think most money actually goes on admin & staff from what I gathered.
I don’t think McMillan are a charity for research/ equipment / treatment.( I think people may think that they do that )

My breast Care nurse from McMillan was awful I asked for a new one ,she left no idea who mine is now.

1 Like

I experienced the same, can’t thank breast cancer now enough