Mammogram call back

Hi, first time here and I’m terrified. Have a mammogram recall appointment this afternoon and feel like I’m about to collapse. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in her early forties and died of it just before her 52nd birthday. I turned 50 last year and have recently had a recall letter for an appointment today. I don’t know how I am going to get through this.

1 Like

It’s going to be awful because of your family history and post traumatic stress disorder which prepares you for the worst but makes you wonder Why Me? What have I done to deserve this?

You have done nothing and maybe your life will be better because you went for a mammogram. I feel very distressed by hospitals and by breast cancer. I have now had two diagnoses- neither one found by a mammogram. I am still here. My first diagnosis was in 2003. I know everyone has a different kind of cancer so you can’t generalise but treatment seems to be moving on. Good luck my friend. Seagulls

1 Like

Hi @bramley9,

I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through. You have come to the right place - the forum is very welcoming and supportive, and will be there for you every step of the way. With what happened to you mum, it’s no wonder you’re feeling so anxious - that is a totally normal response. It might help you to give our nurses a call to talk through how you’re feeling - you can reach them on 0808 800 6000.

Sending you all the best for your appointment,

Alice :heart:

3 Likes

Hi @bramley9 I was called back after a routine mammogram so know how worrying it can be. Yes, for me, a small cancer was found but it was dealt with 18 months ago. The good news is that Government statistics show that 3 out of every 4 women recalled do not have breast cancer as you can read here

You will most likely have another mammogram and an ultrasound and you must prepare yourself for a biopsy, if needed. The staff who will see you will be professional yet kind and understanding. Every day they deal with women who are frightened and bewildered so you will be in good hands. Take someone with you if possible.

If you have a biopsy, the hardest part is the wait for results, which can be 2-4 weeks. Everyone on this forum would say that the waiting is the hardest thing HOWEVER you may well get good, reassuring news at your results meeting, as 75% of women do, so hang on to that.

Obviously your family history is at the forefront of your mind and you feel as if history is repeating itself. You don’t say how long ago it was that your mother was diagnosed or died but from your relative ages, it sounds as if it must have been 20+ years ago. If you do get a positive diagnosis, then please understand that breast cancer treatments have been revolutionised over the past 20 years and both survival rates and curative rates are higher than they’ve ever been. But let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. If necessary, you should speak to your GP who may be able to prescribe something to help you with your anxiety over the coming weeks. It is quite common for women going through this process to do that.

Please let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply. My mum was always prone to lumps in her breast, which thankfully I haven’t been and she was diagnosed at a young age but all the nightmares have come flooding back. I am usually quite a practical person but this has floored me.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’ve just got back from my appointment. I didn’t have another mammogram as they were happy that all was clear apart from one area on my right breast. They did an ultrasound on it and the doctor said it was a papilloma in a milk duct which I may have had for some time and didn’t look at all suspicious. However, to be certain they did a biopsy and I go back for an appointment in a week’s time. The surgeon may choose to remove it even if completely clear.
To be honest I’m staggered at that result as I had convinced myself of the worst. I now have a very sore right boob (Doctor pressed REALLY hard during the ultrasound!) and a very sexy dressing to go with it.

4 Likes

Fabulous news @bramley9. Have something nice tonight to celebrate.