Mammogram recall

Hi. I’m 61 and new to the group. I had a recall from my routine mammogram, which showed changes in my left breast. At the clinic, they explained that it was calcification and that I needed a core biopsy. They also inserted a titanium marker, in case they need to take more samples at a later date. I get my results on Monday. I’m trying to stay positive, but of course there’s a nagging ‘what if’ at the back of my mind. A friend of mine was also recalled and diagnosed with calcifications but didn’t require a biopsy. I’m wondering why I needed the procedure when she didn’t. I’m probably just overthinking and I’ll be glad when Monday is over.

Hi and welcome to the forum, 

Its hard not to over think things, if you were talking to someone else in your shoes you would be reassuring them with the statistics that the majority of people who attend a breast clinic come away with the all clear but it’s a different thing to try and convince yourself! It’s very true though and just because you have had a biopsy it certainly doesn’t mean it will be breast cancer, it’s just that they couldn’t completely rule it out on the day. 

Im guessing you had another mammogram and an ultrasound as your friend probably did, they obviously were able to satisfy themselves on the day that hers was nothing to worry about. They will always biopsy if they can’t do that. 

They key to waiting is to keep yourself distracted and adopt the innocent until proven other tactic! Xx Jo 

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I’m 99.9% certain that everything will be ok. I’m keeping myself occupied with my brand new grandson. He’s a great distraction! I’ll let you know how Monday goes.

I am sooo scared! I know it’s irrational and worrying won’t change the outcome. The results are there, in somebody’s office, waiting for me. I just want them now! I’ve been so positive in front of my family “Oh I’ll be fine!”. But in the ‘wee small hours’ the doubts creep in. Roll on tomorrow morning when I’ll know what I’m dealing with.
Sorry for being such a scaredy-cat and I’m sure you’ve all been in the same boat at some point. I’ll keep you updated. Fingers crossed for good news! Thanks for listening.

Thank you so much for your replies. Lovely to have such a great support network. I’ll definitely let you know how things go.

Thank you Lorraine H. Oh I know, my daughter is a doctor and she has listed about 14 different scenarios. I’m feeling really positive this morning. Had a really good sleep under the circumstances. Ready to face the music now!

Hi everyone. So today I got my biopsy results. High grade DCIS. I’m now awaiting an appointment to arrange surgery and possible radio therapy. I feel kind of relieved. Now that I know what I’m dealing with. It’s non invasive and very treatable, so I guess it could have been a lot worse!

I’m sorry it wasn’t the all clear we all hope for but knowing what your dealing with strangely is easier than being in limbo. They will sort you out though, DCIS really is the best of a bad bunch kind of diagnosis and is very treatable. 

Plenty of ladies here who have been through it so lots of help and support when ever you need it Xx Jo 

Thank you ladies! For the first time in weeks (since the recall letter arrived) I am going to bed without that ‘worried feeling’. How crazy is that?! Now I know what I’m dealing with and I’ve got a brand new circle of friends, supporting me, I feel much more positive and settled. As you say ‘It’s the best of a bad bunch’. Could be a lot worse!

That’s great to hear, thank you! Just what I need… lots of positivity!

Little update… Had my appointment with the consultant today. Surgery is scheduled for 6th December. (It’s a ‘wire guided’ wide local excision). Hard to believe that only a few days ago, I was panicking about receiving my results and here I am, all booked in and on track to hopefully have it all over and done with before Christmas! Feeling positive.

That’s great, LB.
The waiting is always the worst bit & now, it will soon be sorted.
ann x

It’s amazing how your mind set changes so quickly. Of course we all want to be given the all clear but if not just knowing what’s going on is a big relief in many ways and so much easier to deal with than being in limbo! 

You need to take it easy for a week or two following surgury but should be pretty much back to normal in time to enjoy the festivities! Xx 

Good morning everyone.
Surgery day has finally arrived and I’ve given up on sleep! Just want to ‘get the show on the road’ now! Hoping and praying that they get it all in one go… clear margins, then I can put it behind me and start looking forward to Christmas with my brand new grandson! Let’s do this!!! I’ll keep you all updated Xxxx

Surgery went really well. I feel absolutely fine… hardly any discomfort at all! Just waiting for my results on the 19th. Fingers and everything crossed for clear margins, so we can put this behind us and look forward to celebrating our little grandson’s first Christmas! Thanks again for all your support! Xxxx

Good luck for results on 19th. Keep us updated. :heart:

Thank you Jo and Helenann.
Feeling really well, just hoping for good news on ‘results day’. Of course, I’ll keep you all updated.

Hi Helenann
Yes, Liverpool born and bred. I’m under Aintree. They have been absolutely marvellous. Xxxx

Aww I’m under Mrs. Shrotri too. She’s lovely isn’t she?! Sorry you’ve had to go through so much, hope you’re on the road to recovery now! Xxxx

Good luck for your results today- thinking of you and sending love and hugs ???