Mammogram

Hi everyone, thinking of you all.

I am going to my two year breast screening this afternoon, and I am a little concerned. Two years ago I had one and was recalled the following week, they found a lump in my left breast. I went to hospital, had a needle biopsy and had the dreadful wait to hear whether it was cancer. It came back benign. What I want to know now is will they take that result into account with this screening and not recall me, or will I go thru the whole process again. Also, I am worried as I have a dull ache in my left breast all the time and if its squashed (ie going thru a door etc) it is extremely painful. The other day I woke up to find a black bruise underneath my nipple. Does this mean anything? If the lump has grown, will they recall me again? I also have a lump in my right breast at the side and it looks to me like my breast is turning outwards, does this mean anything? Am I worrying unnecessarily? Shall I tell them all this at the screening or just wait until the results come thru? Any input would be appreciated please. I am currently caring for my mother who is now terminally ill with lung cancer and has months to live, I am so worried I will have to go thru more tests and not be able to keep my mind focused on my mum. I am also registered disabled with arthritis, so do not want any more problems. Sorry to ramble on, but bit worried this morning. Ronnie x

Morning Ronnie, sorry you’re feeling so concerned at the moment.

I think you should tell them all your worries at your appointment this morning. They will obviously have details of your last visit on file, but I would imagine that if they are unsure about anything, then they may recall you - just to make sure.

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum to cancer when I had just turned 19 (nearly 20 years ago now) and I know how you must be feeling right now.

Try and keep an open mind for this afternoon, and please come back on here - this forum has kept me going through the past five months since I was diagnosed.

Keeping everything crossed for you

Shenagh xx

Thanks Shenagh, I will let you know how I get on. Sorry to hear about your Mum, its a terrible thing to go thru, I want to cry every day, she is so brave, and I feel sad for her and sad for myself as she if my mum and my best friend, and I know shortly I will not be able to talk to her any more - awful. I will let them know my worries and see what they say about my breasts. Thank you.

Hi Ronnie, I am so sorry that you are having all these worries running around in your head while looking after your Mum too. We cannot answer your questions but can empathise with all your worries and we have all experienced this too. I would suggest writing down your concerns before you go to the hospital today. I find if I don’t write down my questions I come out and thinking “oh I forgot to ask about…”. You are not only asking questions but trying to take on board what they are telling you. If I am getting results I sometimes ask my OH to come in with me because I sometimes forget what I have been told and 2 pairs of ears are better than one! I hope all your worries prove to be nothing at all, but if not we are here to help you through the process. Take care, love Val