March 2024 chemo starters

This topic is for anyone starting chemo in March 2024 to share thoughts and feelings in a supportive environment.

You can find more info on chemo on our pages Chemotherapy for breast cancer | Breast Cancer Now

6 Likes

Hi, I’m starting chemo in March 4 cycles of EC then 4 of docetaxel. Already had double mastectomy for bilateral breast cancer followed by left axillary clearance. Will be good to get some support from those going through chemo at the same time xxx

3 Likes

Hi, I am meeting the oncologist on Tuesday (had a mastectomy and diep at the end of Jan) been told I need chemo nex so thought it would be good to join this thread :blush: feeling a bit scarf and alone.

3 Likes

Hi @anon13 i don’t have my chemo start date or even details of What type of chemo but wanted to pop on and say hello

What does your cycle look like?

The only tips I found so far is to have a baby toothbrush, buy barley water diluting juice and paint nails black. If that helps any! If you have any please let me know :crossed_fingers:t2::blush:

3 Likes

Hi all,

I am starting EC chemo, 3 cycles, on Friday followed by 3 cycles of docetaxel. I had a lumpectomy, masectomy and right side lymph node clearnce at the end of January. I have debated about trying cold capping but have decided against it and i am going to cut my hair very short on Thursday and buying some headscarves. I have been reading various forums about side effects which seems to range from a few side effects to lots! I’m hoping for the former.

Good luck to everyone starting this adventure in March x

4 Likes

Good luck to you too @shazzal hope it all goes well on Friday!

2 Likes

Diagnosed Nov 29, lumpectomy Jan 2.

Clear margins and 0/2 nodes.

Oncotype DX score of 35 so chemo is starting on Mar 1. ACT, 3 weekly for the next 6 months.

Not looking forward to the picc line.

1 Like

Sorry you all find yourselves here :heart: get your teeth checked at your dentist before starting chemo, tell them you are starting chemo and they will get you in. Get a thermometer so you can keep track of your temperature during chemo, ask about a wig voucher at your trusts if you are not cold capping, book on the look good feel better sessions at your trusts through your MacMillan centres and ask about any therapies if you have a maggies centre :heart:do think about donating your hair to little princes trust, lots of us have over the years :heart: take it one treatment at a time, step by step, hang onto each other and do it your own way there are no right or wrongs whatever works for you :heart: because you are still you and amazing :heart: ask away on here, everyone will reach out and help :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

4 Likes

I start chemo on the 12th of March. I’m having 6 cycles (3 weekly) Of Docetaxel/Carboplatin with Herceptin. Then will continue Herceptin for a year with 10 cycles of radiotherapy and 10 years of Tamoxifen. I was diagnosed on 05/01/2024, have lumpectomy on 23/01/2024. Grade 2 Triple positive IDC. I’m not planning on cold capping, I’ve got some wigs/beanies/scarves ready and my friend is cutting my hair short next Tuesday although my partner can’t understand why I want to cut it early! Looking forward to getting to know and supporting people who are going through this at the same time as me!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am so glad to have you beautiful ladies to talk too. I have not been nervous for my surgery etc. but the thought of chemo is making me nervous

2 Likes

Hi all,

I had my first EC session yesterday, I have decided not to cold cap after reading around the topic. I had shoulder length hair and got my husband to shave the back quite short the day before as I felt it would be less traumatic to have short hair falling out and thought it was a waste of money going to the hairdressers!

My session yesterday took 3 hours but should be about 2 hours next time as there was administrative things to do. It was fine and the staff were lovely. I was given an anti sickness tablet which I was warned would make me sleepy. They were right- 20 mins later I was! I was given a selection of medication to take home for the next few days too. Once I was home, I felt the exhaustion you feel when you have a newborn as well as you have had a few drinks too many! I slept for two hours yesterday afternoon and another 2 hours after dinner. I slept well last night too. The only side effect I have noticed, at the moment, is a drier mouth so when I am eating it takes slightly more effort to swallow.

Day 2 and I just have the dry mouth issue when eating. I am drinking lots of fluids and not feeling as tired. I was warned that my urine would be red due to the ‘red devil’ in the EC but that happened yesterday and my urine is back to normal, you will be pleased to know. I have 2 more lots of tablets to have tonight but as one makes you sleepy I am taking it after dinner.

I am still waiting for side effects to happen but so far so good. I think if I get to day 5 with no other side effects I have done well. I was expecting to feel awful today and I have been my normalish self.

I hope this reassures some of you that are nervous and will update you again by the end of the week.

Good luck everyone, you have got this!

8 Likes

Thinking of you today with your first chemo.
You can do it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi mlp74 Im having 8 treatments (4x EC and 4x docetaxel) will take 6 months I’m told. Start on 21st march. Thanks for the tips! Ive got none as yet I’m afraid :slight_smile: xxx

1 Like

Hi shazzal, hope you’re managing ok after your first cycle! I’ll join you on 21st with my first EC then, I’m also not cold capping, going to cut my hair short the week of my 1st cycle xxx

1 Like

I’m having my hair cut shorter today with my first cycle on Tuesday

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m on day 5 of cycle 1 and so far it has been ok. I had an upset stomach in the early hours of day 3 but otherwise the main side effects seems to be tiredness, which seems to be every alternate day, and a dry mouth. I am not counting my chickens yet but if these are the side effects for me, I’ll take it!

Good luck to everyone starting chemo in the next few weeks x

2 Likes

Hi @hello133

I think the word chemotherapy is scary for most people but thousands of people a day are having it across the U.K. I’m not going to say it’s easy but it’s do-able. I finished chemotherapy towards the end of December, I have 12 weeks of Paclitaxel. It was tiring, it upset my stomach, it affected my nails, I kept most of my hair by cold capping but I did it. It is totally understandable that you feel nervous, it’s something you haven’t done before.

You are strong and you can do this.

The monthly chemo starters group really supported each other and continue to do so after many of us have finished chemotherapy. With the lovely @Shi popping up to give great advise and support along the way. Hopefully I can do the same.
Any questions I can answer I will, if I can’t I will probably suggest contacting your team/helpline for advice to the BCN nurses on 0808 800 6000.

Take care. Thinking of you all.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I bet it looks great @chellebelle

Be thinking of you on the 12th. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks @naughty_boob . Spoke to our chemo ward today and they haven’t got any provision to assist with ice socks etc, so gonna have to improvise and bring all my own stuff!

It’s always worth a try. I wasn’t able to take ice packs and ice slippers with me due to the distance travelled but I used them when I got home for a couple of days while the chemotherapy was still in my system. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like