Mastectomy 2nd Jan and so conflicted

Hi, i had triple negative bc in 2013 and had lumpectomy chemo and rads
Ive recently been diagnosed in the same breast with oestrogen positive bc. My surgeon says it could be a new primary or a recurrence ‘which has changed its spots’
I’ve been very practical since knowing im having surgery, buying surgical bras sorting stuff
But over these Christmas holidays I’ve become quite emotional at times, looking at my ( still quite lovely) breast and crying over how this will impact on my life
I can’t ring the bc nurses because everyone is off
My daughter is trying to be supportive but she can be quite emotional which makes me feel worse
I don’t feel I can talk to anyone because of course unless you’re having your breast off how would you know?
I have a cruise coming up in June and in the event of needing chemo that will be cancelled
I haven’t told the friend im going with and feel unreasonably guilty if we need to cancel
Anyway thanks for reading if you’ve got this far. Im just feeling so bloomin sad and sorry for myself x

6 Likes

You are totally entitled to feel sorry for yourself , there’s no part of this that isn’t totally crap really is there !!! Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome but I think maybe you should let your friend know what’s going on and stop worrying about her being disappointed when you are going through such a horrible time .

4 Likes

Thanks Jill for your kind prompt reply. I so needed to hear from a kind person
Im meeting up with my friend on Friday so planning to tell her then
We both have insurance but of course only I will benefit and feel bad about that
I will know more in about 3 weeks when results of pathology will be ready
Thanks again your reply was so welcome

2 Likes

Please tell your friend what’s happening, you’ll probably be surprised at the relief you’ll feel and I’m sure they’ll be supportive.
It’s a very emotional time of year under normal circumstances, but when you’re in this club that no one wants to be in, it’s doubly hard.
Wishing you love and hoping the new year is a healthier place for all of us on here. Xxx

2 Likes

Dear Sue, so sorry you are going through all this over Christmas. I had a mastectomy on 29th June and was in shock about it, until it was actually done. It’s amazing where you get the strength from and get to accept it. have several different surgical bras from M and S, starting initially with a comfortable cotton camisole, and progressing to other models. What’s more I got a couple of post surgical bikinis from a company called Nicola Jane, and I’m currently on holiday in Lanzarote! My friends say you’d never know I’d had a mastectomy. I had radiotherapy and am currently on Anastrozole, and the strong adjutant therapy Verzenios as the tumour was a huge 7 cm lobular carcinoma. Please make sure you keep your insurance company informed of everything about your condition, so you will be covered if you do have to cancel/ postpone your cruise. Sending you positive thoughts

2 Likes

Hi Sue,
So sorry you’re going through this again.
I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma er+ and pr+, her2- grade 2 in November 2021. Single mastectomy right breast January 2022. After the biopsies (the nurse practitioner pretty much confirmed cancer) and just before the cancer confirmation diagnosis 9 days later, i decided not to look at my right breast any longer. This helped me to emotionally detach myself from that part of my body. I really didn’t look at it anymore - i accepted it. It really helped. I had an implant, although i did consider a diep, but the thick black sharpie pen on an A4 sheet of paper and all that it entailed really horrified me. My wonderful surgeon, Miss Tang, performed skin conserving surgery with an implant at the same time. I was able to keep my nipple. The waiting was the worst part, keeping my family confined to the house from 16 Dec to 6 January (cos of Covid risk )and the cannula that went into the back of my hand for intravenous antibiotics that made me scream/cry 3 times per day for 2.5 days. I cried briefly once with the nurse practitioner (through masks), briefly on confirmation of diagnosis when i saw my husband sob and then 7 January in the shower before my op. I realised i was stronger than i thought. I’m good now. I lost 8kg, put on a few again, so need to lose it again. I dont drink alcohol (not much before)and i try to eat the least amount of processed food.
If you and your daughter need to cry to get out the pain than just do it. Do things that you bring you joy. Walking, movies, family, cooking whatever. I wish you well and all the best xxx

3 Likes

Hi @Sue123
Sorry you’re back on the treadmill again. I can only imagine it must be hard to be doing it all again. I was diagnosed at 54 with bilateral invasive breast cancer this May, had lumpectomy in July and chemo with Herceptin from September. Radiotherapy 5 sessions from 10 January. I thought it was bad having a lump in one breast but an MRI confirm the size put a spanner in the works and found another primary in the left.

I have been mostly just dealing with everything on a step by step basis but towards the end of chemotherapy I was being kicked about with appointments and they didn’t consider how far I was travelling. Since them I’ve been more down than before and feel I need some counselling. The breast care nurse with the surgeons said they would still be available on the three days between Christmas and New Year, so might be worth a call. Ours have an answerphone that you leave a message on and they call you back.

Or you could call the breast cancer now nurses on 0808 800 6000

Wishing you well on your journey.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes