Mastectomy - no drain or dressing

Hi had mastectomy yesterday. Had no drain or dressing. Apparently scar recovers better this way but maybe a bit oozy.

Did have bad reaction to blue dye for sentinel node biopsy,  had blue rash like a smurf and bp went crazy, said it was anaphylactic reaction. Had to stay in overnight but ok today, just tired.

Hi Raitchr,
I had mastectomy and no drains on same day as you! I did okay on isotope dye, but just had to go to A&E to have pain buster tube removed as it got stuck! Have you had any phantom itching? The nipple that us no longer there keeps itching! Hope you recovering well! Ali x

I am fine today. No itching or anything. Still got blue wee! Morphine last night let me sleep for 10 hours and just paracetamol today. Feel better than I thought I would but finding it difficult not to do anything. Hope you are ok too.

Heather

I had a right mastectomy 5 weeks ago and also had anaphylactic reaction to blue dye all fine now . I have got quite a large seroma which feels like a hot water bottle strapping to my chest it isn’t affecting the exercises but wondered how long the body takes to absorb this fluid

Hi not sure how long it lasts for. My BCN suggested hugging a pillow to put gentle pressure on it which help, mine seems to reduce if I do this and lie flat on the bed and rest, I try to have a rest most afternoons. It reduces overnight but if I start to do too much with my arm I can feel fluid running back in.

Also my GP said drink lots of water in the day, at least 2 litres to flush it through system. I have cut caffeine to just 2 cups of tea a day too.

I am seeing Consultant tomorrow and they said they may drain it if it still big but it seems better than before.

Today I have managed to put a soft bra on. I got one from Peacocks for about 8 quid, elasticated with removable pads each side, wide straps and stretchy and comfortable. Hoping the slight pressure over mx area will help reduce seroma.

Best wishes

Heather

Had post op check up yesterday, scar is healing well, they drained 150ml of seroma and it feels much better and less like a blister on my chest. The fluid may return but I am continuing exercises and criminalizes of water.

Ha love auto correct, didn’t check before I posted!!

Hi I’m not sure how this forum works, I’m have a mastectomy and reconstruction in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about the drain that I’ve been told I will have, how little no for? And how big is it? Thanks max

Hi I’m not sure how this forum works, I’m have a mastectomy and reconstruction in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about the drain that I’ve been told I will have, how Long for? And how big is it? Thanks max

Hi All, I am new to the forum.  I had mastectomy with SNB on Tuesday 2 days before my birthday :frowning:  no drain and padding with binder over the top came home same day.  Been ok :slight_smile: slightly sore just the fluid doesn’t look like it’s going away and then coming back just looks like it’s there all the time :frowning: