Mastectomy on 17/4 - What are your words of wisdom?

Jojo, I can imagine what you mean by needing a big serviette. It did make me giggle though, the thought of it!

Jane, I will definitely look into the ‘been a boob’ and the Caring Bridge. I have been inundated by people wanting to know what’s going on and how I am so I can see how invaluable that would be. The false boob is something I’m not looking forward to :frowning:

Wendy, How did you get on with your appointment. Are you going for the reconstruction? I have my appointment tomorrow but I don’t think my hospital offers reconstruction straight away. Good luck for the 26th x

All your tips have been noted and I’m off to buy earplugs :slight_smile:

I had to arrive at hospital for 7am for my surgery, with no idea of what time op was. They gave me a coffee at breakfast time, but no food of course, then I was allowed water up until midday, after that nothing. Surgery took place at about 4pm, so was hungry and quite thirsty too. So be prepared for this if your op is late in day.
Good luck and hope all goes well.

Melrose 15 - appointment went really well Although now been put back a week to 2 May but I can live with that. Having bilateral MX with immediate recon using Becker expander implants. They are not sure as yet about rads but if it does cause problems with implant at that side they will replace it at a later date. He did say there might be a problem with healing on my non BC side as had WLE and rads 14 years ago on that side and rads can have a long term effect. So all in all I am happy. It will be 4-5 hour op with a couple of days in hospital.

Good luck everybody else hope you all get what you want.

x x

Hi all
I am having bilateral mx with immediate ld flap reconstruction without implant (one side at a time). First op is on good side on 23 April. I had wle x 2 in Feb 2012 follwed by chemo and rads which finished in September 2012. Am taking note of all the tips. Would be interested to know revovery time and how long I should expect to be off work. Also would be keen to hear from anyone who has this type of reconsruction without implant. Do you get a reasonable size and shape? Are the genie bras what you would wear immediately after the op?
Xx

Hi all.
I too had two WLE ops and SNB but now getting a mx and ANC on 18 April . Its been really helpful to see the suggestions on what to take to hospital. Also what to expect after the operation. Thankyou and good luck to the other ladies going through ops soon xx

Hello Kathleen, I wish you all the best for your op on 18th April, I also have had two WLE ops and ANC, now have to have MX and a reduction in remaining breast for symmetry, also on the 18th April. I have had a lot of help from suggestions on here and look everyday for more. Let me know how you get on and I will post too Good luck, will be thinking off you. Xxxx

Hi Pat. I am also gettiopposite other side reduced too! What type of recon are you getting? Xxx

Hi Kathleen, Pat And carabel
Seems you girls have been through a lot already. :frowning:
I have to wait for a reconstruction as have to have rads. Will be interested to learn how you all get on.
Will you add me as a friend so we can keep in touch, also Wendy. (Not sure how to do it myself?!) We may have to think about starting a May group for chemo ladies as well. What do you think?
Emma x

Hi Melrose15, I had my mx and anc over two years ago. On the 17th I will be across town in Charing Cross having my delayed DIEP recon done! My recon wasn’t done straight away because the tumour was quite large like yours.

From what I remember of the Mx I would echo: button up pjs, earplugs, slip on slippers, biscuits, shoulder bag for drain(s) - hip length. In the hospital shower I remember pulling the chair across the room and resting my drain on outside the shower area while showering. Remember to take it with you when you leave though!! Individual cartons of juice can be useful, and some dates or prunes to keep you going! I was encouraged to look at the wound as soon as possible, to be honest it was heart breaking and I cried every day for 10 minutes, but didn’t let myself do more than that so I didn’t ‘wallow’ in mourning for my boob. Surgery is the front line of getting rid of this, as modern as our science is, we still have to physically remove it, it has to go, please remember that. Once the wound has healed you should massage it every day, it will help stop tethering and cording. Do the exercises - I found it easier to do them every time I went for a wee, that way I fitted in the 5 times a day routine easily and it saved time, multi-tasking I guess! ( to stop cording do the ‘walking your fingers up the wall’ exercise at least twice a day. I made a note of how far up I got each time & tried to go just a fraction higher each time. I am back to ringing church bells and swimming backstroke and my surgeon is always impressed with my range of movement.)

Chemo can affect the rate at which healing takes place, so they will wait until you’re wounds have progressed before they start you off. I believe 4-6 weeks after surgery is optimum. That’s a whole different ball game, so take time now to concentrate on your Mx. There will be lots of advice and threads for Chemo when the time comes.

So when you are waiting to go down on the 17th, think of me across town, just over two years on from where you are now, Mx, chemo and Rads all becoming history and moving on to recon and getting my life back … it’ll be you before you know it.
When you have a really bad day, take one hour at a time. When you have a good day - enjoy, and bank it, its all doable, you CAN do this. Very best of luck. XXXX

Hello All, Kathleen - I have asked for a delayed recon as I want to know how I am after MX, not sure if I want to go through a big op, like they say one step at a time. I can,t seem to see this op at present, I think I will not believe it untill I am in hospital, do you feel the same? xx
Melrose - I will try add you as a friend I think you to go into profile first, you have to be logged in and it asks you to add friend, I’ll try and let you know, I’m not sure about chemo yet, I only know I’m having it, it would be good to start a May group. xx
Peachez - Thank you so much for your comments, it has helped a lot, you sound so positive, I too will be thinking of you on the 17th, and wish you all the best. xx
Carabel- Very best of luck for your op on 23rd April, will be thinking of you. xx

Peachez, such a lovely inspiring post. Thank you. I will definately think of you on the 17th. Good luck xx

You are very welcome Ladies

I rarely come on here these days, but the date caught my eye! It’s a rough ride there’s no denying, but every day is another step - there WILL be colour in the world again for you. All the best, Love P xxx

Hi all. Sorry not been on. I think as you say Pat, this is starting to hit me! I wish I could put the clock forward to the op being over. Trying to keep occupied but my mind has started to work overtime again! Been trying to add you all as friends but not sure how to do it.

Hi Kathleen, only a week to go!!! getting worried now. My son is getting married tomorrow so I have had lots to do, which has taken my mind off me for a while. I have got a cold too so I hope its gone by next Thursday. I will try again to add you as a friend. Xxxx

Pat, So lovely you have your sons wedding to look forward to. Hope it all goes well and the sun shines.
I have my pre op this afternoon and think it is beginning to hit me now aswell. I had a little cry already this morning.
Like you say Kathleen I just want this over with now.
Take care ladies. Will have a glass of Red and toast your son tomorrow Pat xx

Hello everyone!
This is my first ever post, having been diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer on 3rd October 2012, aged 35. I chose to have chemotherapy first and then I had my mastectomy on 1st March. Nearly 6 weeks on, I’m feeling good and I’ve almost got back the full range of movement in my arm. In addition to what everyone else has kindly and helpfully posted, there are just a few things I wanted to add.
Has anyone heard of the “heart pillow”? It’s a project that started in Denmark - and the vision is for everyone with breast cancer to receive this most brilliantly designed and comfortable pillow. You can go online to download a pattern to make your own - but I was fortunate enough to have a dear friend make one for me. It fits under your arm, protects your sore area and helps to relax your whole arm. Mine became my comfort blanket for a good few weeks. Honestly, it made such a difference to me! Please take a look here for more info: http://www.heartpillow.dk/.
Secondly, in my hospital, my mastectomy scar was only dressed with a clear, waterproof dressing. I wasn’t expecting to see the results of the surgery straight after - and it caught me by surprise. I was expecting to be wrapped up a little more in dressings - and have a few days before I was able to look down and see my scar. With hindsight, it was a good thing that I saw the “new me” from the very beginning - but still, I would have liked to have been prepared for it, when I removed my hospital gown and got dressed in my ordinary clothes.
I personally didn’t find it a problem coming home with the drain. I went down for my op at 1.30 in the afternoon and I was back in my own home 7 hours later! Then, the lovely district nurses came for a couple of days to check my drain - and then take it out (which also didn’t hurt). I didn’t find the drain uncomfortable and I managed to have a bath with it hanging over the side of the bath (being careful not to get it wet, of course!).
Love and positive healing thoughts to everyone,
Rachy

@Pat - I was at Chelmsford last July - just overnight but the nurses were fab on the ‘day’ ward. There were 5 other ‘girls’ there having mx’s & lumpectomies too & we all chatted across the beds etc - one of the older ladies asked for a cup of tea before the lights went off & one of the nurses went & made us all hot chocolate & brought biscuits too - I’m sure they were from the nurses own supplies.
I was super lucky & just had a very straightforward mx, almost the first thing I needed was the toilet once I got back to the ward!
Tips - I agree with earplugs, book (lightweight one tho!), magazine, puzzle book etc but we all chatted so much, I barely read anything!
Coming home, get your driver to bring a clean & soft pillow as a bit of padding for the seatbelt - It also gives you something to hug if you’re a bit weepy :slight_smile:
Good luck & lots of gentle hugs Ladies, I hope everything goes easy for you all xxx

Hi to you all I am a new lady on here and this is my first post I have been reading all the posts for a few weeks well I had a mx on the 3/4 of this month before I was really worried but need not have been I went in on the Wed at 7am and was told I would be 4th on the list so I just chatted to two other ladies who were waiting a little later the anaesthetist came and introduced himself to me he seemed a nice chap A little later a new one came a lady and said she was the one who was doing it now and I would be later on the list as there had been a big emmergency in the theatre So I just decided i would have to wait I did not go to theatre until around 4-30 and the next thing I knew was waking up in my bed later that night so its not as bad as I had built it up to be the op I believe took about 1 and an half hours including the anaesthetic so that’s about it The only thing was my mouth was so dry and of course I had not had anything to drink or eat since the night before a nurse came and gave me a glass of water which was like drinking champagne So that’s about it really I have not had a lot of pain but of course I have had some where the drain was put in and I was home the next day the worst was waiting for the registrar to come and discharge me I was waiting until about 3.00 till he turned up but at least I did have a lovely chicken lunch and lots of water to drinnk so don’t be afraid its not that bad as we make it out to be in our minds all the best for the op when it come
Lots of hugs and cuddles

Hi Ladies, Wedding went really well, could not have been anymore perfect, thank you for all of your good wishes.
Melrose and Kathleen and anyone else who is having the Op soon, I am thinking of you all, mine is on Thursday too, not long now, i still cannot visualise it but it will happen and I have to make the best of it. Best wishes to you all
Love Pat
Xxx

I had mx and expander recon 3 weeks ago, have had very little pain, some discomfort but paracetamol was enough to take that away. even on day 1 when I woke up I didn’t use the morphine pump I was attached to apart from hen they told me to as I was getting out of bed. They disconnected it 24 hours later and were surprised I still didn’t need stronger pain killers. 3 weeks later I am now back on paracetamol as they have expanded the implant so the muscle is grumbling…it’s not all bad if they get it right! :slight_smile:
Good luck to everyone who is having mx this week, keep positive and look to the future.
kate
xx