Mastectomy on 17/4 - What are your words of wisdom?

Hi Pat, glad the wedding went well and you had a lovely time. Im starting to get really nervous now but know it needs to be done. Has anyone else has an LD recon?

Bad news everyone, my op has been delayed by 1 week could be 2 as I have a chest infection ugh. I am so frustrated, I am on antibiotics so lets hope it soon goes, I feel so deflated, but I have to be 100% well so i’ll have to wait. Let me know how you get on with your ops. Be thinking of you all Xxxx

Hi Melrose15. Looks like you’ve got a good thread going here, lots of support which can make such a difference. Just wanted to pop back and say good luck for tomorrow - I shall be sending positive vibes across London to you - You’ll be waking up with it all done and dusted before you know it!
And all the best to everyone else too, whatever stage of treatment you’re at.

P xxx

hi carabel,
i had mx left breast with a diep reconstruction an other side reduced all in same op, 10and half hour surgery but it was worth it, im amazed at my new boobys, i was a 32dd naturely didnt have much tum but plastic surgen got me to a 32 b/c i didnt want any implants, i was in hosp 5 days, they said i would be able to go to work 12weeks after surgery, the worst for me was having to sleep on my back as wernt allowed to cross my arm over or lay on that side i couldnt anyway it was to swolen, my sis got me one of those triangle pillows it really helped when i was recovering, i havent yet gone back to work found after operation needed chemo and radio, iv had my chemo finished 2weeks ago start radio on 25th,
where are they taking for you reconstuction, ldflap i wasnt offered i dont think, diep and tug was what i was offered, but they said for the tug i didnt have enough skin on my legs.
good luck hun, and i would rather have surgery than chemo any day, so i think personaly you,v been through the worst, im still waiting for my left nip to be put on but im really happy with my results xx

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU LADIES GOING IN FOR YOUR OPERATIONS, I HAD MYN SEPT LAST YEAR BUT CAN REMEMBER HOW TERRAFIED I WAS, I WAS AT CHELMSFORD AND STAFF WAS WONDERFULL,
BRAVE LADIES EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE YOU WILL BE ON THE MEND IN NO TIME
BEST WISHES TO YOU ALL XXX

Hi sunshine lilly
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I didnt have enough tissue on my tummy to replace both boobs hence why the ld (muscle from back) was oFfered. Surgeon not sure how much fat he will get with the flap to add volume but has said I could add an implant at a later date if I wanted to (although i think i eill gave had enough by the time I’ve had two mastectomes with reconstruction!). I had read somewhere else about those pillows so will definitely get one for when I come home. Good luck with radiotheraoy - its a doddle compared to chemo.
Lots of luck to everyone else having their surgery. Do come on and let us know how it goes

Hi ladies.
Well that’s stage one done! It wasn’t plain sailing as was really sick after; so didn’t get to sample the hospital food or eat any of my many snacks I brought especially! Things that were useful were the lip salve, wipes and I did get some bottled water with a sipper top as it was easier than trying to pour from a jug. Definitely button down loose shirts and pull on bottoms. And a little cushion for the journey home. Thanks for all your advice.
Drains come out tomorrow so I should feel more comfortable then and hopefully be able to sleep. I had some great bags made for me to carry the drains. They have really long straps that go across my body and a big opening to hold both bottles. They’ve been great and stopped me forgetting them and keep them neat on the floor when sitting etc.
I haven’t braved a bra yet but I haven’t been out so it’s not a priority, also I feel quite sore so can’t imagine putting one on at the moment. Although I am aware my ‘good’ DD boob will start to droop if not hoisted up soon!!
Peachez I hope all went well for you and you are recovering well.
Good luck to Kathleen and Pat and all the other ladies approaching their ops. Sunshine I hope chemo is kind to you.
I’ll probably be starting chemo mid May so will see some of here there.
Gentle hugs
Emma

Emma
i didn’t wear a bra for a couple of weeks after mx, wore close fitting camisoles instead as they were less ‘aggressive’ on my soreness and as I had the expander implant the saline port is just on the bra band. Wear whatever is comfortable inside or out! :slight_smile:
kate
x

Hi Emma, so glad to hear that you are ok and home now, my op has been delayed until May 2nd due to me having a chest infection. I will take on board your experiences. I hope your drains will come out soon, the surgeon told me she does’nt like sending patients home with a drain so we shall see. I hope you will soon feel better and less sore.
Thinking of you.
Pat Xxxx

Hi Pat. I sent you a pm x

HELP! I thought once the drains were out I’d get a better nights sleep but alas, sleep eludes me.
If i sleep on my ‘good’ side it feels like the wound is dragging. If i try on my mx side its uncomfortable under my arm; which is quite spongy and puffy, Is that normal?
I need your advice again mx ladies. What worked for you?
Thanks from a very tired and achey Emma!
xx

Hi Emma
i slept on my mx side with a pillow propped in front of me to take the pressure off my wound. My Oh was useful when he was here as I could sleep on my good side but leaning back into him so not quite on my side, luckily he accepted he was my ‘lump’ for a few days to allow me to be comfortable, also took paracetamol at night to reduce the discomfort.
hope you get comfy soon
kate
x

I found I slept better on my back, although my normal sleeping position was on my bad side with my arm up under the pillow - I still can’t do that and my op was on 1 March, but it’s one of my aims! I moved on to sleeping on my good side I think after a few days. I can now sleep on my bad side but it’s still a little uncomfortable. I still have some of that sponginess and puffiness 7 weeks on, although it is much better than it was.
In the early days I found I woke up early so went to sit on the settee and read a book and inevitably found I then fell asleep in a kind of half sitting/half lying position.

I hoe you find something that works for you as sleep is so important to your recovery.
Best wishes.

I find I’m sleeping on my back or good side with a pillow to support my arm can’t even bear to think about sleeping on my bad side yet ( 4 weeks post op)
Marie

Hi everyone. thats my op over and I am out of hospital. still have one drain in but should be taken out soon. I need to sleep on my back which is uncomfortable and feel sick at times. My biggest problem tho is that I have a swollen tum as cant go to toilet due to meds. Any advice?

Pat the op was ok and I was my feet the next day x

Oh dear Kathleen I totally sympathise. I’m still having problems. Came off the needs and just on paracetamol and ibrufen now. I took senna and ate loads of fruit, prunes etc. Apprently liquorice is good. It does make you feel sick doesn’t it?!
Glad op went ok. Sleeping is awkward. The most I’ve managed is 4 hours and that was the other night. Now the feeling in my arm is coming back as a really sensitive prickly nervy pain so feels uncomfortable when anything is up againstit. Even if it rubs against my t shirt it feels sore. And there’s me thinking each day it’ll improve!! (sorry having a ‘feel sorry for myself day’ today)
Emma xx

Hello Melrose15, so glad you’re out of the woods with the surgery. Make sure you do the exercises now, do them when you sit on the loo, makes it easy to do all the repeats! I remember that prickly pain in the arm, if you keep brushing it gently with different fabrics or just a gentle massage in an elbow to shoulder direction it will help - it does take a while to settle down.
Keeping up the fluids and getting back to being more active will will help with the bowels, that and about four dates a day :slight_smile:

I am now home after 8 days, my return being delayed by a fainting fit I had on day 3 that meant I had to have a second Op looking for a heamatoma (which wasn’t there) ; turns out I lost a bit too much blood in the first Op - 3 pints of blood put the colour back in my cheeks though. All more drama than crisis.
I was on a five bed bay which was quite noisy even at night, so last night in my own bed was bliss. I feel - and look - like I’ve been run over by a tractor and everything is a bit swollen at the moment BUT I can already tell it will be worth it, and the worst bit is done already! Oh, bonus part, even though I’m still swollen I have dropped a dress size already!

All the best for your recovery and Chemo - you’ll need the Dates when you have that too… and some All Bran… and some Senna… but it is all doable. One step at a time…

Lovely to hear from you Peachez. What size did you go for? Ironically I had a breast reduction at 19 so will be strange having the reverse done in a few years time!
Seems like the hospital was a stressful experience so you’ll be glad to be home. Keep in touch with your progress. And I’m sure in a few weeks a shopping spree will be great fun! Xx

Hello Kathleen, would you believe I still have not had my op!!! I have a chest infection which just does’nt want to leave me. I have to go to hospital on Monday to see doctor, he will decide whether I am well enough to have op on Thurs. 2nd May. I am so glad you are through your op, and glad you are feeling better, at least the op is over. I will let you know how I get on.

pat, Sorry to hear about your infection. I know how horrible is the wait. Best of luck to you.