Mastectomy on good boob

One year on after my mastectomy on my right boob, reduce and lift on left boob I’m now wishing I had the other one removed. 
I am worried sick I will get cancer In That boob

I hate having one Natural boob and one implant boob they feel so different I’d rather forget the feeling of how the natural one feels should I have a mastectomy on the natural boob? 

Hello Saffyalice,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to see that you haven’t had a response yet. I am hoping that my response will help our member to see your post and offer their advice.

In the meantime, if you want to talk to someone who understands, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We are always here and happy to help. For any worries or clinical questions, you can also post to our Ask our Nurses board.

Sending you our warmest wishes,

Zoe

Hi Saffyalice,

I am sorry you are going through this.  I had mastectomy on my right breast like you but I chose to not have reconstruction as I didn’t have clear margins so feel I need to reduce any tissues to prevent the cancer coming back. 

I am waiting for genetic testing and hoping it will result in the left breast being removed.  The left breast has already been tested and I worry there is cancer there already. I do feel I have a good case for it to be removed.

I am desperate to have equal breasts and feel that I have control over future cancer (as much aa that is possible), I have looked into going private if the surgery on the NHS is not an option.  I have started putting money aside each month to help finance it if needed.  I appreciate that a reconstruction will be more expensive.

A friend did suggest that I should speak to the GP about the psychological impact it is having and see if that would lead to the necessary surgery.  Currently I am still having treatment so I am not at that stage yet.  It is a lengthy process and counselling and psychological assessments would be involved and with Covid-19 it would probably be delayed as it isnt seen as essential and they are reluctant to remove a healthy breast.

Good luck and I do hope you get this sorted. I know it is emotionally hard as you can’t ignore your boobs and see your chest everyday!