Mastectomy recovery time

Hello, this is my first post on here. Last week I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS in my left breast. The news came as a big shock and I’m struggling to process everything. I’ve been told that I’ll need a mastectomy as the DCIS is widespread. Yesterday I had a biopsy on my right breast to check for DCIS as my mammogram showed calcifications. So I might be facing a double mastectomy. I just wondered if anyone could advise on what the recovery is like after a mastectomy? I have a 5 year old son and I’m worried I won’t be able to look after him, take him to school etc. I have a very supportive husband and my parents live close by but I’m not very good at asking for help. Thanks for reading x

2 Likes

If it’s any help I’m waiting for surgery for double mastectomy it was postponed last week and I know exactly what you are going through. I found It helpful to speak to the breast nurse and volunteer at MAGGIES Centre at my local hospital. I will keep in touch if that suits you? X

1 Like

Hi @sdg23,

I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed in Jan 24 with high grade DCIS & a sneaky bit of invasive (I’m 44), widespread so left mastectomy needed. A small 6mm of DCIS found in the other breast aswell so I had mammoplasty on the right. I have a 4 and an 8 year old. Unfortunately, there was no lifting for a little while and hugs need to be gentler which my boys were brilliant at. I’m the same as you in regards to asking for help, but in this instance I would ask. You’re going through something horrible and people will want to help. Recovery wise, I opted for no reconstruction so I was up and about pretty quickly. Walking and gentle stretching (exercises they give you after) made a huge difference. I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can for you. This forum is incredibly helpful & responsive!

Sending virtual hugs. X x

2 Likes

Hi @sdg23,

I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, it’s no surprised you’re feeling so shocked and worried about how your mastectomy will affect you. I’m sure it’s quite overwhelming how fast everything is happening, take all the time you need to process. While I know it’s easier said than done, don’t be afraid to ask for help - your husband, parents and friends want to help you and be there for you. Asking for help with a few jobs may in even be helpful for you all in processing what is happening.

You have the whole forum behind you and we’ll try and be as helpful and supportive as possible throughout your journey. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a few more shared experiences on here for what mastectomy recovery was like, and in the meantime if you ever need to talk things through or ask any questions you can reach our nurse helpline on 0808 800 6000.

Sending all the best,

Alice :heart:

2 Likes

I have Primary breast cancer in both breasts too and have to have double mastectomy’s and the wait has been so stressful as original surgery date 3rd July was postponed by the Anaesethist unsure whether I am fit enough for operation due to rheumatoid x ray of my neck. I had to wait another 10 days to see him face to face and he was quite grim about detioration in discs in my cervical area. I told him I had discussed at length with my husband and families and all were in agreement that was the best way forward as I had been told I had to have a mastectomy on right side anyway due to previous surgery there was not much breast left and the tumour was large so knowing I had tumours in the other left breast as well seemed unrealistic to have lumpectomies and be left with the fear of recurrence. I am nearly 80 now and feel I do not want the risk of further surgery as I get older still. I am fairly fit and walk every day but who knows how unfit with RA I will be in years to come. I now have a surgery date for 16th August and saw an empathetic surgeon yesterday who agreed with my decision and said as long as I am aware of the risks . But another wait. I am on a hormone blocker which the breast clinic assured me will stop the tumours growing any bigger whilst I wait for surgery. I have contacted Someone Like Me to try and speak to a volunteer with the same diagnosis as myself but not heard back yet. I have had so many sleepless nights and anxious waits and doubts and hope I can find someone to talk to here. X moreen

2 Likes

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was diagnosed back in March with invasive and ended up having a right sided mastectomy which when they looked at again, I also had intermediate and high grade DCIS. In terms of physical recovery time, it was fairly quick (didn’t feel it at the time!!). I had immediate reconstruction with a tissue expander so was told to be extra cautious with lifting and had to be mindful not to knock the drain but I was able to go back to work in a busy primary school 3 weeks post-surgery - I probably could have gone back earlier but I was signed off and no one would let me back! Hopefully your recovery will be similar but do ask for help where you need it! X

I had a single mastectomy in April without reconstruction. I also had all the lymph nodes removed. I found the pain manageable but did have codeine to help me to push through the exercises as that really helped me to get my movement back. I had a 2.5 year old at home and had to get my parents to come and stay with me for 3 weeks as husband had to work and he couldn’t do everything. I wasn’t able to do any heavy lifting for 4 weeks.

Hope you’re fully recovered now and back at work. I just want to get the surgery over with and move forward with life? Thank you for your reply x

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been allocated another surgeon who seems lovely and excellent history. I will be glad when the surgery is complete and I can concentrate on recovery. I think we females are incredible in facing breast cancer and getting through the surgery/treatment. Well done to everyone!
Xx

2 Likes

I am due for double mastectomy 16th August so will let u know!!! X. Good luck with your surgery

1 Like