Mastectomy scar revision

I am 2 years post my mastectomy & have a bulbous excess muscle/skin at the end of my mastectomy scar under my armpit. It’s quite uncomfortable & rubs on bras etc. I also have a raised area above the chest area on that side. This can look odd at the top of my bra. My breast surgeon has offered revision of this. It would mean my scar would be longer under my arm- I’m not worried about this. My concern is whether it would intervene with my arm movement. Does anyone have experience of this type of surgery? Thanks. :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Hello nmann

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. I’ve a ‘puppy dog’s ear’ as one of my lymphoedema nurses kindly called it. Nice - not!

I fail to see why this situation is allowed to happen with a mastectomy. Surely it doesn’t take that long to take an extra bit off and sew it up? Think of the reduced costs of remedial work and just our confidence/well-being etc. I always have a lighthearted dig whenever any health professional sees it.

Without any experience or knowledge but just common sense, I’d say it wont affect arm movement as it’s only removing a lump of fat and other tissues. Might even improve it as no longer in the way. No muscles involved. Post-op might be a bit sore for a while - like our mastectomies themselves.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

I had it done they called it a dog ear .
It is much more comfortable and doesn’t rub on bra .
It didn’t affect my movement.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Yes- dog ear it was called. I was told that at the original surgery of mastectomy, it can be difficult for the surgeon to know exactly how much skin/muscle/tissue to take away as it’s going from a curved surface to a flat one.
I’m just worried about my arm movement as it took a long time to recover but I think this was exacerbated by radiotherapy to the chest wall- it tightened up massively.

Thank you for your comments & advice- much appreciated. X