Mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction before chemo

Hi, I have IDC grade 3 which as spread to 5mm margin, good new is lymph nodes are clear. I am also HERPositive. I am to have a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction DIEP which scares me. I will need chemotherapy and am worried that waiting an extra few weeks due to waiting time and recovery will make te cancer spread. I also ave to have herceptin.
i would love to hear from anyone with advice or similar concerns.
i am 42,live in the Romford area and will be having my surgery at Broomfields in Chelmsford, chemo at Queens.

Bringing this to the top for Sara42

Jo, Moderator

Hi Sara
I have a similar story, except that I had chemo first to reduce the tumour. I worried about it spreading all through chemo. I was booked in for a lumpectomy 3 weeks ago. One hour before my surgery they did an ultrasound, which showed it had split in two. Long story short I was then booked in for Mx and Diep recon 2 weeks ago. It is a long operation, I read that its the “Rolls Royce” of reconstruction and I’m delighted with the results. It will take time to heal but I’m relieved the cancer has gone. I was diagnosed in Jan and have had this black cloud hanging over me for months.It is only natural to worry about it spreading, like you my lymph nodes were clear, which is positive news. I wish you well with your treatment, if you have any more questions don’t hesitate to pm me. Sending you big hugs and lots of positive vibes
Karen xx