mastectomy

hi am i in the correct place to talk about mastectomy

you are loopyloo. I had mine just 4 weeks ago and have been back to work and driving for a week now. What would you like to know about it - I’d be happy to help but don’t want to overload you. All I would say is please don’t be scared - the doing is easier than the waiting, honestly. xx

hi i had mine on the 1st of september but i am not dealing with it very well. i am waiting to find out about my chemo as i have a slight problem with my heart the doctor wants me to have a cardiac scan befor he decides what chomo to give me he told me it would be for 7 months and then 4 weeks of rad and also tamoxifen i am worried that the chemo is not going to be started for about 3 more weeks .what could be happening in my body while i am waiting xx

If it makes you feel any better I had mine on 3rd Sept and don’t start chemo til the 16 October. I have needed that time to ‘get my head together’ to be honest and been told that I could have left it until November (after our holiday) and it wouldn’t have made any difference.

What part of it aren’t you coping with? Is it the thought of waiting for your chemo or the actual surgery?

it is the surgery i feel like every one i looking at me i am finding it very hard to go out, i am at home almost 24 hours a day and half of that i am on my own my husband works and my children are at school ,i get ready and then cant do it .my family are trying really hard but i just cant do it .how do people over come that fear of every one looking at you ?

Hi loopyloo

As well as the support from your fellow forum users you may find it helpful to talk through your feelings with one of our trained members of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your concerns with someone who wll offer you a listening ear as well aa support and advice if required. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

Please give them a call, as it may help just to talk.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi loopyloo

I coped by talking openly about what happened to me to my friends.

Don’t you have any friends who don’t work, who would come and see you if they knew you were feeling so low?

If nobody was coming to see me I used to take ages to get dressed and ready and then forced myself to walk down to the shops to buy whatever I needed for dinner that evening making something a little more interesting than I would have done normally. It is a great distraction.

If it is your body image you are worried about people looking at, I used to take the opportunity to put bright scarves on and drape it over my lost breast.

I promise you things do get better but try to talk about it as much as possible. There are people out there who don’t want to hear but there are also lots of lovely people who will be there for you.

Merlyn

hi sam thankyou for your support i will ring the number now

thanks loopyloo

hi merlyn no all my friends are at work and i do get quite lo, i dont get dressed most days and at the moment im not wearing a bra because im still quite swollen and sore if some one comes to my door i hide up if the post man knocks i hide behind the curtain to sign for a parcel . i feel trapped in my own home but i no i have got to ovr come this not just for me but for my family .there are some great people out there i no its just facing them for the first time xx

One of the things I hate about health professionals is the comment “Think Positive” " I was positive I was never going to get cancer all my family had had heart disease.

But being pro-active does help a lot. Posing on this site is a good start because people will let you know their experiences. I don’t post very often but I do look at the site most days. It helps to know that your not the only one struggling.

Get dressed up, put the slap on and go for that walk to the shops its a lovely day down south.

Good luck

Merlyn

H Loopyloo

I am an airhostess and have always had such pride in my appearence, so losing my breast was also totally the end of my world ( and losing my hair). But once the nurse gave my wonderful prostheses and I went out and bought some lovely bras from Debenhams, I began to feel ever so slightly normal again. I did lose my hair, as I have already said, but I got this amazing wig. I then took the courage to face the world again. No one could tell the difference, and people who knew me well, dared to ask which one was the faulse breast!!! 5 months down the line I am back at work, not flying but doing a few hours in the office and I really feel there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I also have a husband who still works all the hours god sends and three sons who in my eyes dont seem to really care. But this web site is such a wonderful place to meet new people and express all of your worries and fears.

ps my goal now is obviously to beat this dreaded disease, but to also have the best pair of new boobs in the west midlands.

Julie

I wish you all the best loopyloo

Julie

Oh, this is so sad. I sailed through my surgery but I know so many of us don’t. This is what i did…

Try to think about seting yourself one or two new goals a day. My first goal when I came out of hospital was to make myself get up with my daughter see her off to school each morning. Once the house was empty I would have a bath and dress at my own pace, put on a bit of lippy! That made me feel ready to face the day. I know the first time I put my bra back on I felt like a whole new person again…I am still using my softie, but the hospital gave me 3 so I can keep them laundered.

Set your day out. Breakfast. Bit of tidying up, then rest. I would read or watch some day time trashy telly, just to take my mind off stuff.

I work in the NHS and yes, they do all harp on about thinking positive, and when you feel like sh*t it is the most defeating thing you can be told. But it is in fact the answer…but it takes alot of us a long time to get to that point.

Would you feel confident to ask your GP for some advice Loopyloo?