Micro surgery for lymphoedema

Almost 2 years after the end of treatment ( chemo, mastectomy and lymph nodes clearance and radiotherapy)  have recently developed lymphoedema in my hand, my arm and chest wall. I am exploring my options including micro surgery at the Oxford lymphoedema clinic.Can anybody share their experience?  Was it worth it? Would you recommend it? 

Hi Tatave, I had the surgery 2 years ago and would definately recommend it if you can I have lymphodema in arm and breast and my arm is much better than pre op and breast has reduced slightly too, pm me if you want any further info or advice or look on the going through treatment section/lymphodema

L x

Thank you lottie63. I am going to see the surgeon on Tuesday and will know if I am suitable. Glad to know something can be done!

Not heard anything about this but would be i terested to learn more - its been ten years of lymphoedema for me. Its one of the most difficult bits to ‘get over’ for me and tbh I still rage ahainst it and how much it impacts my life EVERY day. Good luck x

Was that at the Oxfird clinic? I have looked into it - £15,000. Is there anything available on the NHS?

I had micro surgery at the Oxford Lymphoedema practice a year ago. It cost me £15.000 which is a lot of money but I have no regrets. I do not wear my sleeve or glove anymore. Only when I do a prolonged effort (I did a 30 miles endurance running race recently, that sort of effort) for every day life I am back to normal with 4 very small (3 cm) hardly noticeable scars.

It’s available on the NHS in Wales but nothing in England as far as I know.

Actually it is no longer available on the NHS at the Marsden. Nice hasn’t accepted it yet as not enough evidence. Apparently everybody’s Lymphoedema is different…

Hi ladies I have only just noticed this thread as I usually check under the lymphoedema sub heading in going through treatment. I have enquired with my local CCG and requested funding for Oxford which was refused and then recently requested to be referred to Wales but they are no longer taking referrals so sadly this is not available anywhere on the NHS at the moment. I am still considering having it done but am still awaiting further reconstructive surgery so it is on hold at the moment. I think it’s very unfair that we have to pay for this especially at £15000 but I guess that is the way it is until more evidence is available for NICE to endorse it on the NHS for all who need it x