Mild lymphoedema???

Hello, just wondering if anyone has any help on early onset of mild lymphoedema please?  For the last month after overdoing blood pressure monitoring for several days on my surgery arm I’ve had tingling on and off in my hand, very minor swelling come and go,  with pain at the axila area of arm/shoulder and problems using that arm/holding a tablet/phone etc.  Heat makes it worse.  Some days it’s ok and others it plays up but it generally feels very weak and uncomfortable.  Does this sound similar to lymphoedema onset?  I will ask my doctor about it when I can and my mammogram 2 months ago was good.  I just wondered if anyone else had any experiences of early onset or mild  lymphoedema?  Thank you.

Hi SunnyTimes,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry you haven’t had any response yet. I am hoping my response will help our members to see it and share their experience and advice.

In the meantime, please remember that for any clinical questions our breast care nurses are here and happy to talk.

Sending you our best wishes,

Zoe

Hi SunnyTimes

I’ve had mild lymphoedema for about 20 years now, and that does sound like many of the symptoms I have. It’s not bad - no one else can see swelling - but it’s uncomfortable, tight, and makes me (more) clumsy. It flares up usually after I’ve slept on the arm funny, or lifted something I shouldn’t have, or almost any kind of exercise.

There’s a lymph clinic here in Edinburgh, so early days I got fitted for a compression sleeve. My routine was to pop that on in the morning for the walk to work, and it kept it at bay. Any extra flare up, I pop it back on for 20-30 mins and it calms everything right down. And I always wear it for exercise. Definitely recommend asking about getting one of those!

In the meantime, a web search for MLD or manual lymphatic drainage will give you some self-massage options that could help provide some relief.

Hope it gets sorted for you!

@Maxy75

Hi SunnyTimes, I have mild Lymphodema and finding it difficult as barely able to raise my left arm above my chest, since finishing radiotherapy in July 2020.  I was referred to Lymphodema clinic before Xmas and physio said it was mild, and referred me to another physio, who gave me excercises to do which I’ve found painful to do, but keep trying.  I feel it is getting worse, and the pain is worse so have phoned the Lymphoedema physio to see what the options are.  Get intouch with your GP, or breast nurse and get a referal to clairfy the situation.  In these difficult and different times it’s hard with all that’s going on in the world.  Good luck. 

Best regards

Maxy75