Mondor's disease ???

Does anyone have any experience of this condition?
If so would you be willing to share any symptoms, advice, tips and how long you’ve been going through it?
New diagnosis for me and already confused by the definition!
Just wondered if someone with BC could share their particular story with me…

The discomfort/pain is really debilitating for me!

Thanks, Welsh girl

I had not heard of this disease before but I did Google it and there seems quite a bit of information about it on the net. Poor you - it does sound horrible.

Hope someone else replies to you soon.

AlexG

i had it following surgery… i actually noticed a big dimple under my nipple a few weeks following surgery… it completely freaked me out as dimples usually mean cancer… so i started worrying taht there had been another tumour they hadnt picked up as my cancer was at the top of my breast almost on the chest wall.

My GP had a look and said it could be mondors disease but wasnt 100% sure as it looked quite different.

i only had pain or discomfort when i stretched in the same way as you get cording as that is really what it is but its cording through the breast rather than in your arm… for some women the cord sticks out under the breast or as in my case it pulls in through the breast causing a dimple.

it is commonly brought on my surgery but its a totally benign condition.

my breast consultant took one look and said it was def mondors and that reassured me a lot…

this is a link to my personal experience of it i wrote for another website… i hope its ok with the mods to post it here…

bcpals.org.uk/content/diagnosis/mondors.html

its now gone away completely btw and have had no other problems with it since about aug or sept.

hope it resolves soon.

Lxx

Thanks Lulu,
All your personal info is very reassuring to me with very limited knowledge about Mondor’s disease.
It was really kind of you to take the time.
The website was really informative but I was so sorry to read your story. You’ve been through so much.
What a brave lady you are.
You always sound so upbeat and really supportive to others on this forum.

I do hope you are at a calm stage in your recovery.
Big thank you Lulu.

Welsh girl x

Hi welsh girl

As well as the support you are receiving from the other users you may find it helpful to get a copy of the BCC booklet on mondor’s disease. It explains what it is, how it is confirmed, and the treatment or follow-up that may be required. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/75/

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

thanks for that link sam.

also big thanks to your too welsh girl for your kind comments… i am indeed in good place at the moment… just about to return to my job as a sexual health nurse for a few weeks before taking up my new post as a breast care nurse in the family history clinic… right up my street.

hope things continue to improve for you… the ibuprofen gel definitely helps.

Lulu x

I just feel so much better knowing what I am dealing with now!
It’s the period of not knowing which is so lonely and frightening for us all. I just worried that no one would believe me and think I was a hypochondriac for having 3 areas of pain. They could have all been connected but they did all feel very different!!
It is hard to explain pain/discomfort/weakness/hurt with the correct words isn’t it?
So thank you for believing me. GP and BCN could not agree!

I examined my wound tonight (I don’t often look as it’s so ugly and bumpy with swollen bits too) and found the dimple you described Lulu. Previously,I had thought it was an effect of the swelling but no it’s very firmly attached underneath so fits in perfectly with your own description. Feel so relieved to know it’s a recognisable condition.
So my plan is to get the tendonitis sorted through emergency physio and then really attack the exercises with vigour (and painkillers) to try and stretch this rope running through my breast area.

Thank you to all of you who’ve helped with this ordeal today. You’ve been such a support, especially you Lulu and BCN Sam.
Helpline counsellor/advisor was great too, really great.
Big hug to you all.

Welsh girl xx

Will definitely try the Ibuprofen gel.