Multiple operations for DCIS

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed recently with intermediate grade DCIS, we have a family history of breast cancer, so I have had annual mammograms since I was 40 (I’m 45 now) and it was spotted on that as an area of microcalcification.  It looked as if it was 4mm on the mammogram, but when I went in for wide local excision it was found to be 7mm, but the margins weren’t clear, so I had another wide local excision a few weeks later.  The margins still aren’t clear and an “extra” bit has been found so now it’s 20mm.  The surgeon has offered either a further WLE or therapeutic mammoplasty, he favours the WLE, but I think he’s focusing on cosmetic results.  I’m concerned that there might be another bit lurking somewhere that they haven’t noticed.  He says that it’s ok as this would be picked up on next year’s mammogram, but that doesn’t feel comfortable to me.  Has anyone else had multiple surgeries for DCIS?  And has anyone had therapeutic mammoplasty and are you happy with the results?  I’ve got DD boobs, so there’s enough to work with I think.  Thanks everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,

I’m sorry you have had such a tough experience with surgery for DCIS. I had a WLE with therapeutic mammoplasty for 28mm DCIS in September. I am very happy with the shape and size of my breast, it still looks almost the same as the other one and I recovered well from it. I am 36b so I was a bit worried that there wouldn’t be enough tissue to make it work but it is fine. I was lucky that my margins and lymph nodes were clear so I didn’t need further surgery as that may have meant mastectomy.

Good luck for clear margins this time with whatever op you decide to have.