Mum diagnosed with secondary in her lung and bones at 75

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum. Last Wednesday, the 9th my mum was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in one of her lungs and her bones, namely in the back and pelvis. Initially one of my brothers told me and he was very doom and gloom which panicked me but my eldest brother is more optimistic and said with treatment she could live another 5-10 years. She had primary breast cancer nearly 6 years ago now and she is 75 years of age. At first I was in bits, crying all the time but with more information I’m more optimistic. My mum is optimistic and positive by nature anyway she just isn’t looking forward to the chemotherapy she has to have. I’m so close to my mum and i love her to bits. I’ve moved back in with her now and even when I lived away I would ring her every day. The thought that one day she won’t be at the end of the phone terrifies me. Has any one else got any experience of this and how long your mother has lived from diagnosis? Thank you

Hi Manorgirl,

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Your brother is right to be optimistic, in many ways, stage 4 cancer is moving into the mangement of chronic disease territory & I understand, is increasingly referred to as ‘chronic cancer’ now.

There are certainly quite a few ladies who have lived with secondary bc for many years here.

Do also have a look at the ‘Living with secondary breast cancer’ part of the forum & do post there as well, if you feel you need to ask anything, we’re all happy to help.

You sound a wonderful daughter, btw

ann x

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful responses. My mum has her 1st chemo session this Wednesday and I am going with her. She also has a Macmillan cancer nurse who came to visit yesterday and she was lovely. She has arranged for my mum to get attendance allowance, up to £81 per week and a blue parking badge for her car so that’s an extra help. My mum has had her hair cut a bit shorter so if and when it does fall out it won’t drop everywhere. So fingers crossed for the next 9 weeks. She already has a date for a scan for when her chemo finishes to see how it’s affected the cancer in her lung and bones.
Many thanks, manorgirl xx