Mum diagnosed

Hi just looking for a some help really… My mum (50) got diagnosed through a mammogram a few weeks ago she has since had a lumpectomy to remove a 1.5cm tumor and 5 lymp nodes taken. Results day last week brought bad news it was in 3 of the 5 lymphs and there was a thickening in the tissue that would turn to cancer eventually so now we face chemo and mastectomy plus radiotherapy and hormone tabs for 5 years as its a hormone type of cancer… Just wondered if any one has similar stories as im not coping great and could do with some hope! Also not sure of staging…

Thanks

Hi cat23. I had similar to your mum (though am in my 30’s). 18mm tumour and also spread to 3 lymph nodes. I got away with just a lumpectomy and full axillary clearance. Then chemo, rads and tamoxifen/zoladex.

That size of tumour is relatively small compared to what some people have, and just because it has spread to the lymph nodes doesn’t mean that it has gone elsewhere (though it doesn’t stop you worrying that it has!). Chemo isn’t pleasant but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’m just on tamoxifen now and back at work.

The fact that you’re on here suggests that your mum will have plenty of support from you, and that’s as much as anyone wants really. You’ll get loads of support on here - and try to get your mum on too as its useful joining up with people who are going through chemo at the same time as you etc. Sometimes I think its harder for your close family, so make sure you get plenty of support too.

Good luck to you both.

Al x

Hi cat and welcome to the BCC forums

You have come to the right place for support and you both may find some of our publications helpful, I am posting a link to information booklets and other services your Mum may wish to use from BCC such as One to one support or our helpline which you are also welcome use for further support by the way:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy

Thank you Al for replying its nice to talk to people like you. Im going to get my mum set up on here when shes ready… hopefully will help talking to ladies going through this! ive brother and sister… there brill but im a bit of a sensitive soul and need positive stories! Im sorry to hear you got the dreaded c word so young! I hope you go on to have a full recovery!

Thanks again

xx

Hi cat
i am also 50 with a 15 yr old son. I still come on here as my oh & boy dont like talking about anything like this (just football & xbox games) lol!!! I dont post that much but this site helps me alot. I have learnt from everyone & it has kept me sane!! I did not need chemo but have had radiotherapy & am on tamoxifen for 5 years. I was worried about rads but there was no need it does not hurt at all. Just need cream for the skin as it gradually got redder & I took some time off work towards end of treatment cos of extreme tiredness! Am now back @ work & worrying about my teenage son. It is great u have fd this site. Hope yr mum comes on soon. I wish you both well. Forgot 2 say i had a lumpectomy for a 8mm tumour.
Alis
xxx

Hi Cat and all,
Sorry you have to be here but you will find great support.
Like Alis, I don’t post much and actually don’t come on here that often now - but I am still drawn to it now and again.

I was 44 when I was diagnosed 9 1/2 years ago (4.5cm tumour in right breast, widespread DCIS to left, 3 out of 15 lymph nodes affected on right.)
I had bilateral mastectomy,right axillary clearance, 8 cycles of chemo over 6 months and 25 radiotherapy sessions.
I was told I would be on Tamoxifen for 5 years but times have changed and my onc now wants me to be on it for 10, so I have another year to go - but if that’s what it takes, well so be it.
The treatment was tough but do-able.

It was the most frightening time of my life when diagnosed and I thought I’d been given a death sentence and wouldn’t see my children (12 and 15) grow up and leave school.
I think the vast majority of people diagnosed can relate to those feelings.

My life changed with a cancer diagnosis but it remains good, albeit with the fear of recurrence / secondaries, which is always there but not as intensely as initially.I don’t think that fear will ever leave
but I have learnt to rationalise it and get on and enjoy and appreciate every minute of my life.

Your mum is lucky to have such a caring daughter and I hope that you will both get the support you neeed here, from those of us who have “been there, done that and got the t shirt!”

Pease don’t hesitate to contact me and ask anything at all, either on here or by PM if you prefer - even if you think it’s a silly question - trust me, it won’t be - I’ve asked them all over the years.

Very best wishes to you and Mum, Cat - and everyone else coping with this s**** disease! x