Mum has secondary breast cancer

My mum was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in her liver and spine in August 2014. She’s had chemo and letrozole and is now on a chemo tablet but recently she has become very ill and spent a lot of time in hospital. She was bleeding internally due to her liver not being able to filter the blood because of the cancer, and she has started getting fluid building in her abdomen which has been drained once so far. She has been told she needs to get back on the tablet asap as it is her only hope but her body isn’t strong enough for it right now, she’s been off treatment for three weeks. She hasn’t been given anything specific but they said her prognosis isn’t good. I’m really scared, I don’t feel like she has much longer left. I’m 17 and I don’t want to lose my mum yet. 

I really don’t know what to say to you but I am truly sorry you and your mum are going through this. It is a really scary time but you sound like a massive support to her. I’m sure there are many people on here who will be able to help you better, hoping your mum gets better news soon xx

Hi, Moderators would it be better if she posted this on the secondary board also as she may get a bigger response.

Nicodango, you are very strong just for writing here takes courage, there will be ladies along here soon to help you get through. You can also ring the helpline they are amazing and it is for family too not just us ladies going through cancer.  Sending hugs

Hi Nico.  I am so, so sorry you are going through this.  Please call the helpline on 0808 800 6000, they will be able to give you good information and will support you too.  

I expect your school or college knows your mum is unwell, but they might not know all the details.  Please speak to a teacher you trust and they will be able to organise more support for you at school/college.  You can also speak to your GP who can help you through this.  

Please keep posting, we’ll do what we can to offer support here.  I wish I could do more, but hope a cyber hug helps ((((Nico)))). xxx

Hi everyone

Thank you for your support of this user.  Just to let you know that as she is under 18 years of age unfortunately she is unable to be a registered member of the forums.  This is due to legal requirements for people under the age of 18.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer