Mum issues!

Hello im new :smiley:

My mum was diagnosied with BC in Nov 2012 and recieved her op before christmas which the also removed lymphoids under her arm.
She had her first chemo treatment yesterday which is done by injection and will last for 6 months. She also has to go throgh radiotheapy & hormone treatement.

Shes a very strong woman and she really doesnt like talking about the matter which i fully respect because thats how she is copeing with it all. I currently live 75 miles away from my mum and my dad. My sister has just moved to NYC for 6 months on work placement.
Im just worried to ask her about the topic and unsure how serious it is for her. I tried looking up treatment and very confused with it all. I was wondering if someone could explain to me how serious (obviously all types are serious) it is so im kinda in the loop!

Hope someone can shed some light for me, i would be very greatful :slight_smile:

Thankyou

Hi

Welcome to the BCC forum karen. I hope you will find lots of support from other members on here.

You could also give our Helpline a call to talk things over. They will be able to offer you information and support. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000 and all calls are free and confidential.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi,
You could just ask her the same questions you have posted here and tell her how worried you are and the not knowing is making you very uncomfortable. It’s really difficult because everyone is so different, their cancer and the way they deal with it. Some people hide it (a lot to do with worrying others and just wanting to deal with things themselves) and some broadcast the news because they need people to know. You know your Mum best and if it’s inappropriate to ask questions, tell her you will be there for her anytime she needs you, at our hospital the BCN’s will see family members to explain things to them but only with your Mum’s permission, that maybe an idea or perhaps your Dad can tell you more.
It’s a very fine line because you obviously don’t want to upset your Mum and you have to respect her wishes but you are then left feeling bewildered. It also maybe she doesn’t want to worry you, which makes you worry more because you don’t know the situation. Very hard to know what to do, take care, lots of hugs to you, you sound like a lovely daughter xx

i understood your problem tell your mom to maintain honest, two-way communication with her loved ones, doctors and others after your Bc diagnosis.it will helpfull to you and your mom

Dear Karen
You will find sensible medically reviewed information on this website - a little differently presented from the US main website but the content much the same. I think there is also a number that users from outside the UK can use that is cheaper-can anyone advise on that?
Or is it possible for Karen to ask in email form?
I agree, you sound a lovely daughter, and a caring daughter is one of the best things to have when you get breast cancer. Wishing you and your Mom the best possible outcome
Lavender

<object id=“plugin0” style=“position: absolute; z-index: 1000;” type=“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0”><param name=“tabId” value=“ff-tab-17”>
<param name=“counter” value=“860”></object>

Thankyou all for you lovely advice which i will take on dearly.
Its proberly the fact she doesnt want to worry me :slight_smile: Time i think is what we need to all deal with the matter and maybe eventually find out whats going on :slight_smile: There is no rush in the matter and hope soon she will give me the details in her own time :slight_smile:

Thankyou again so much :slight_smile: all appriciated loads

Karen x