Mum's diagnosis

Hi

My Mum (60) has been diagnosed today. We’ve been waiting a week for the results and if truth be told, I have been struggling with it all. Is all still sinking in so I don’t know all the ins and outs yet. It appears the lump is very small and doesn’t appear to have spread. She has been told she is having a lumpectomy followed by three weeks of radiotherapy. She is surprisingly holding it together but inside I am in pieces. I’m scared of seeing my Mum go through this and I want to be strong for her but I’m petrified. I would appreciate any help or advice from anyone else in the same boat or from anyone who’s supported someone with a similar diagnosis. The consultant sounded positive my Mum said but am scared of being too positive. Help please xx

hi jellybean i’m sorry to hear about your mam i am 39 and was diagnosed on the 6th of march and can not imagine how it is for you, i can tell you the hardest part for me was how this was affecting my children and worrying about them, my advise is to find out as much as you can cos the wandering is scarier than the knowing so my children tell me and the same was true for me as for your mam all you can do is be there for her and let her know that no matter how she is feeling she can talk to you or cry on your shoulder if thats what she wants to do i’m sure someone with better advise will be along shortly but i hope you all get through this sending love to you all xxx

Hi jellybean

Welcome to the BCC forums, you will find lots of shared experiences and support here and our helpliners can offer a listening ear and further support too, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy

Hi jellybean

I too had a lump which hadnt spread, mine is called a DCIS, because its contained in a milk duct, could this be what your Mum has?

I had a lumpectomy in January and it was followed by radiotherapy, which I finished a couple of weeks ago.

Your Mum will do this with all of you by her side. I was quite calm when I was diagnosed and then had one or two weepy moments later on. When she has a date for her lumpectomy, deal with that first and think about radiotherapy later.

A bit of help with the practical things in life is great, as well as someone to listen, as everything else does go a bit to pot!

Do let us know how she gets on.

Jayne x

Hi Jelly bean

I’m 48 - my daughter too posted on a site worrying about me - she didn’t tell me and she hasn’t posted since because she can see that I’m doing ok x had lumpectomy and lymph nodes out then another op to take more out cos it had spread and I’m not on chemotherapy to be followed by radiotherapy so your mum will be absolutely fine and I am confident when she starts the treatment it won’t be so scary
Just be there for her - don’t ask if she wants you to tidy up or go to the shop or do the washing - every little bit helps when you’re feeling tired.
Above all - don’t worry - my daughter is now ok with it - she lives with me so sees all the good and bad bits and I’ve cried - just be there for your mum xxx

Sorry I AM on chemo!

Thank you for your comments, it is really useful to hear about these other experiences. It’s still early days so I don’t know all the facts yet other than its a small lump which they don’t think has spread to lymph nodes. She has a date for the lumpectomy in 3 weeks and then the radiation to follow. What worries me more is not these stages in themselves, more the whole picture, the long term and what happens after radiation etc. My Mum I think is still a little in denial and is coping by carrying on as normal and not talking too much about it at the moment. Am scared of upsetting her by asking too many questions.

x

Hi Jelly bean

Even I don’t know that much as I’m sill going thru my chemo - and it’s an ongoing process with appointments with the oncologist which is a chance to ask questions as you go along - if you can go along with your mum do go as I have gone to my appointments alone and not remembered what was said to me or thought what to ask ! The radiotherapy is quite straightforward and then they will do scan and mammograms on a regular basis to ensure all is well over the next few years.
The good news is that your mum (and me) will be so highly monitored now that anything will be found and we can live a long and healthy life :slight_smile: xx

Thanks, you sound so strong and I hope I can be that way for her. X

Hi Jellybean,

I’m similar age to your mum, our free life is just about to begin when work goes away that is! I like to dance, take holidays, snorkel and wear a bikini. BC and surgery were not things on my agenda. I think there was a tendency by medics to encourage me to go for easy options at first, but my girls helped me see the bigger picture.

Anyway, I’ve two daughters and I have to say I put them through the mill a bit when I was diagnosed (dx) with BC last summer. I hadn’t told them or anyone about my recall letter, but one happened to see it when she was staying with me. They both expected it to be nothing so we were all surprised when I had the Dx of BC. I’m someone who likes to be prepared and I was totally unprepared. But some people prefer to take it as it comes. I’d only say that there are decisions to be made and sometimes you need to speak up and challenge a bit, so it’s good for someone to understand and be prepared, maybe your mum would like it to be you. Or maybe she can take this role herself. I’m not alone in saying that ladies need to speak up to get the best or rght treatment.

In my case it was DCIS which is early stage, no lump or anything. Because it was in more than one part of the breast, despite being early stage, a mastectomy and immediate recon was my best case scenario! It didn’t seem fair! I was horrified by this and SO upset for a week while I came to terms with it. The girls helped do research with me, so we knew the options and possibilities before my next appointments. Like your mums position I haven’t needed chemo. In fact as I had a mastectomy I didn’t need rads. I had a really major op but just three months on I was wearing a bikini and had a lovely tum and the navel of a twenty year old as a bonus.

There are several elements to the treatment for a small lump, including a lymph node biopsy, usually a SNB which checks a minimal number of nodes and would probably be done at the same time as the wle to remove the lump. I had my snb separately as I was having a bigger op, but the ladies having surgery on the same day all had wle/snb. Our surgeon’s style is to go in under the aerola so that there isn’t any scar on the breast. This is something you or your mum could ask about…those ladies we very pleased.

After the op most come out on the same day. We actually met up for coffee in town the day afterwards! The other ladies were around 70, though you’d never know it as they look fiftyish. We couldn’t drive and had to be careful not to lift things on that side but otherwise very little trouble. The three weeks of rads started a month later and the ladies travelled by train together each day. The only real problems they encountered was some tiredness and some soreness of the skin afterwards. They weren’t gven any advice about applying creams or what to apply, soots worth consulting other ladies here, and of course, asking questions!!

Getting the diagnosis is a total shock to us and most of us fear the worst but there is so much good treatment now, that for most people the fear seems to be worse than the actual treatment. I hope this helps in some way to give you the perspective of several mums who have been in the same position in the last six months but are now out the other side.

Do tell your mum I’d be happy to be in touch if I can support her in any way …you can Pm me if you’d like.

The main

Jelly bean - no I’m not strong - I’ve had the worst 12 months of my life including 2 ops for other things and losing my dad to cancer - so when I was diagnosed I was at my lowest ebb - lost my mum 5 years ago to cancer - so you can imagine! But you have to fight - I can do it with support from everyone around me - encouragement help tears the whole lot :slight_smile: I have a wig and scarves and all sorts - I have prepared myself - but I need my daughter to be strong for me and that is what your mum will want too - believe me xx

Hi Jellybean
Im so sorry to hear your news. Im unfortunatly going through similar with my mother-in-law and finding at all extremly hard to get my head around so please feel free to get in touch if you need a chat or anything.
This site has been such a help to me and i have asked lots of questions and had amazing advise so i hope you find it as much of a support as i am.
take care
Lou
x

Hi Jellybean.

Really sorry to hear about your mum. I’m in a similar situation. My mum is 45 and was diagnosed in December and out of my mum, dad and 3 siblings I cried the most while she held it together.

Don’t be scared to ask her things, I always felt reassured when I heard the answers coming from her. Don’t be afraid to ask the doctors things either, they’ll always be honest and open about the future.

If you want support, feel free to message me. I’ve been to most appointments and I’ve googled to my hearts content.

Heather x

Hi jellybean,
My mum was dx in may with stage 4Bc. I feel like I’m on an emotional roller coaster. It’s hard when it’s your mum! My mums best friend was diagnosed with aggressive bc 4 years ago, following mastectomy, chemo and rad she has just been given A full bill of health and the all clear! So im a big believer in hope. fingers crossed for your mum to! Shell x :-))

Hi, im so sorry to hear about your mum. My mum is 66 and she was diagnosed a cpl of days ago with breast cancer, so i think were going thru a similar thing at the moment. My mum is scared but trying to stay positive and im trying to stay positive for her sake but im petrified too. x