My mate

Hi…I haven’t commented before but have been following this thread. I just wanted to say that you seem like a lovely friend to nave and I hope that, when the time comes, someone steps up to the mark like that for me. xxx

xwelcomex

My mum told me that “True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare. False friends are like autumn leaves, found everywhere”.

I’m lucky that my friend is a diamond. You’ll find plenty of diamonds on this site. They’ll all step up to the mark for you.

Lins xx

Hi Lins, I can’t believe hypercalcaemia wasn’t spotted sooner, no wonder your friend has been hallucinating. That alone is a classic symptom.
Take Care, both of you…xx

Lins I agree thhat I can’t believe the hypercalcaemia wasn’t spotted sooner. Hallucinations was one way we knew mums calcium was going out of control. It really does sound like the time we had with my Mum. I hope that your friend can have the quality time with her family and friends that Mum managed to get. x

I hope now,you and your friend can enjoy some quality time together.
I’m sure her family are stunned by this news after so much sadness and grief but a reprieve it is.
Please pass on my best wishes to your friend and her family.
Do keep us informed and how you are coping too.

Best wishes, Welsh girl x

Rollercoaster continues!

Jump on board - this is a bumpy ride!

Due to be sent home tomorrow. Hospital bed in situ in dining room but package of care is District Nurse 4 times a day. One son off work for a couple of days and very elderly mum (80s) moving in this week.

My mate is … dependant on oxygen and high doses of morphine, prone to hallucinations and very confused. Catheter in place. Unable to transfer alone but about to be discharged without an assessment of need. What the f*** is going on?

Ladies and gentlemen, please do not hyperventilate. I’m on the case!

Lins xx

Just want to say even at this late hour of Sunday/early hours of Monday we’re all thinking about your mate and you. I’m so glad you’re fighting her corner for her. You are truly a good friend - on her behalf, I say ‘thank you’.

Your friend will be very comforted by your support.

Thinking of you both xx

Hi Lins

Yes, true friends are like diamonds, I couldn’t manage without mine.

I have heard so many times about the medica not picking up on the obvious things that are causing distressing side effects like hypercalcaemia and even simple fluid retention that was sorted out with water tablets! The latter incident was also in one of those situations where the patients was asked where she wanted to spend her last days!!! This was a couple of months ago and she is doing okay now and responding to the chemo!

It may be too late to start this but… it may be useful for others on this site. Since my secondary diagnosis last year I have kept a diary of my drugs and treatment, symptoms and what the doctors tell me etc. This does two things. Helps me feel as though I am an active participant in my treatment and, I believe, keeps them on their toes. When I was in hospital last year I heard the nurse telling the consultant before he came in my room that I was ‘on the ball and had everything written down!’ In other words a potential pain in the a…se, my description. I also send in a list of questions by email via my BC nurse before my appointments so that I make sure I don’t forget when I am in there.

I hope your friend is home safely now and comfortable.

Sue x

Just saw this thread and my heart is with you. You have been, and are being, a true friend. My lovely sister in law is dying right now from cancer (not breast) and it is agony. I so empathise with what you are going through.

Much love and strength

Dilys
xxxxx

Home safe and sound!

District nurse night service, day service plus additional cover.

At last!

Good luck everyone and thankyou.

x

Well done you!

Welsh girl x

Well done! Hope thing are going smothly and your friend is more comfortable
Juli ex

thisiscrap, you truly are an inspiration, best wishes to you all xxxx

Hi Lins,
This is the first time I have posted on this site. I would just like to say you are a friend anyone would wish to have. Your positive help and love for your friend shines through.
I hope that you get more time together now she is home.
Tell her we are all asking after her and thinking of her.

Hugs and Best Wishes to you both.

Isabelle xxx

You’re all lovely but I don’t deserve or warrant any accolades. My mate does!

xx

Dont under estimate how important you are in this, we all need those kind of friends, you should be very proud of what you are doing, you deserve all the ‘accolades’
Take care xx

I forgot - her two sons deserve a huge pat on the back as well! One is in denial, the other “in control”. I just shove a bit of pragmatism and plain speaking their way!

xx

this crap,

you are such a special friend

thinking of you

K x

Hello

This is awful. Everything is in limbo. She is home but has no real quality of life, just a pain ridden existence, with perhaps an hour of lucidity a day. She is waiting for admission to the hospice for some quality palliative pain relief.

What a vile disease. It should have been strangled at birth.

Hope you are all pain free tonight.

xx