Nails

Has anyone used anything other than nail polish on there nails during treatment?

Still early days for me and have been using dark purple nail polish however it doesn’t last long before its chipped and looks awful!

I am so used to having gels acrylic prior to treatment i miss having a colour on my nails, helps to make me feel happy. 

Thanks

Mel

1 Like

Hi @mel1989  , 

Someone on here recommended Polybalm, or rather it was recommended by their consultant, for nails. It has been developed for people going through chemo to protect their nails. It is expensive but I thought it was worth a try - I ordered it off Amazon. I am only completed 3 chemo sessions so far but nails are doing ok. I use it at least twice a day. I have not tried painting them dark colours as I thought taking the polish off and on normally ruin my nails anyway and they would end up chipped.

I am also using nail oil. When it was sunny weather last week I put sun cream on them. Not sure if it makes a difference. 

Good luck with your treatment. X

2 Likes

It’s been a long time but, have you thought about nail wraps or even experimenting with different textures like matte finishes? They can be a fun way to express yourself and add that splash of happiness without the worry of chipping.

When I was going through a similar phase, I tried out some unique nail ideas that didn’t involve traditional polish.

I’m still having mine gelled as usual.
I took the decision to carry on as normal because, I think it keeps them from breaking, I have it done by a friend whose scrupulously clean and knows Im on chemo so is very mindful of my quicks, and because it helps my mood. To be quite honest why would I want to look like a witch with black nails !!!
I take the view that if chemo is toxic enough to make your hair fall out and nails drop off what difference is a bit of hair dye or nail polish make :person_shrugging: