Nails

So im 9 months post chemo and 4 months post radiotherapy.

I last 3 chemo infusions were Docetaxel and I was given a nail balm which I used and helped alot didnt really have any problems. However following the box guidelines it says to only use for 3 months and its more for whilst on chemo.

I was wondering what do you lovely people recommend for keeping nails healthy post chemo as two of my nails in the last month from the nail bed almost look like they are gling to fall off. Very pitted.

Any advice or product recommendations welcome.

Hope you are all doing well 

Xx

My feeling is that if they look like they are going to fall off, they will in time but there should be lovely new nails underneath at least fingers crossed there will be. 

I hope the image of nails and fingers crossed isn’t a bad one.

Seagulls

The damage chemo does to your nails happens in the nail bed when they are growing and can’t be undone so sadly you have to just let them grow out and let the post chemo nails grow in. Sadly whilst this is happening the damaged nails can split, crack or fall off. They are slow growing so all this takes time & it’s at this time post chemo when the most damaged part is most obvious. Finger nails take 4-6 months to grow out and toe nails about a year. It’s just another cruel legacy of treatment we have to let time heal. Hang in there with lots of lovely hand cream & keep them short to avoid risk of splitting and flaking at the tips. 

Has anyone got any product advice for nails like this?

As I stated above I had 3 rounds of Docetaxel and finished chemo Oct 19th 2022. Nails were fine until about April this year.

I keep them as short as I can. I moisturise my hands as I have eczema. And Ive tried a nail hardener.

But still slow growing and getting really flakey. Just wondered if there was anything else I could try to help whatever nail is going to come through afterward.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Have you had the doctor check for any infection or fungal infection just to be on safe side too :heart: maybe they could prescribe something that will help with the nail regrowth. I didn’t loose fingernails just couple toe nails but I did use cuticle butter on my cuticles and also did keep nails painted black throughout chemo. Hopefully as your nail returns anything you do with moisturiser will help nourish them :crossed_fingers::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

Ive decided to use the balm my onco prescribed for use during chemo again see if that helps.

Unfortunately due to work I cant paint my nails with coloured polish but I am using a nail hardener thats clear.

I think i might get it checked with my GP too though. Thank you :blush:

1 Like