Neuropathy - what to “expect”

Hi all :slight_smile: I am 5 days post first cycle of Paclitaxel and I’ve noticed this morning a slight discomfort/pain on the soles of my feet which seems to worsen when walking. This only came on when I got home from walking the school run this morning. Kinda feels like I’ve been wearing heels all night. Is this something? I’m not quite sure what to expect. My team obviously gave me info on what side effects to look out for but I’m unsure if it’s just numbness and pins and needles or if this discomfort could be a sign. Thanks for any help and advice you can give me :heart:

Hi kingsbreasts

Thank you for posting about the symptoms you’ve noticed since starting paclitaxel chemotherapy.

Peripheral neuropathy happens when the peripheral nerves (nerves close to the surface of the skin) are damaged. This is a commons side effect of some chemotherapy drugs, including paclitaxel.

Main symptoms include a change in sensation such as pain, burning, numbness, pins and needles or tingling in the fingers or toes. It can sometimes also cause difficulties with walking, balance and coordination, which can increase the risk of falling. It sounds as though the discomfort you have been feeling in your feet could be due to this.

For some people, symptoms are mild and go away soon after treatment stops. For most, symptoms will gradually improve over the weeks and months after the treatment has finished, although for others it may be persistent.

It’s important to let your treatment team or chemotherapy nurse know about the symptoms you have. They can assess your symptoms and let advise on ways to manage them.

You may find our FaceBook Live session about peripheral neuropathy helpful to watch.

You may also find it helpful to join the chemotherapy monthly threads. These are threads on the forum where people starting chemotherapy at the same time can share their experiences.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events. For more details about all of these services, please see the information in the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.