Neuropathy?

Hi I started EC on Tuesday, had some pain in my picc hand on Friday but today it is really sore like thorns in my fingertips. Is this from EC as only one week on or is it because I fell asleep when my hand above my head Thursday night?
Any tips for reducing the pain? With a toddler, it makes the day and tasks tricky

Mine came and went on EC. EC isn’t one for massive long term neuropathy, according to my Onc. Docetaxel and Paclitaxel are the ones that tend to cause permanent damage to nerves.

EC does start to harm your nail beds though so maybe that’s what you’re feeling. I’ve found Polybalm to be amazing on nails and has helped keep them strong and reduce pain as EC mainly hurt the skin around my nails. Maybe worth a try as I’m going into 6th and last chemo with all nails in tact currently!

Good luck! X

Also, how new is your PICC. Only just registered you’ve said your PICC hand. If it continues, I’d call it in. X

Hi
I would ring your advice line with it being in your PICC arm to rule out a clot x

Hello bridget1

Thanks for posting.

These thorn like feelings in your fingertips sounds painful and as you say it’s difficult to do day to day tasks. Sleeping in certain positions can cause pins and needle type sensations but these usually pass soon after changing position. EC chemo does not typically cause peripheral neuropathy.

As @swk1981 and @dumbledore suggest do contact your chemo team. PICC lines can become infected, displaced or a clot can form so it’s important these are ruled out.

You may be interested in the range of free services we offer and do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.