Never thought I’d be discussing this!

Continuing the discussion from January 2024 chemo starters:

After lumpectomy and LICAP reconstruction I’ve had radiotherapy and in January had my first chemo. (T and C) They’ve started me on just Taxotere (alias Doctaxel) and amongst a few other side effects the most embarrassing to admit to was “itchy bottom”. I did speak to a nurse who said it was only to be expected after constipation and then diarrhoea but I don’t know if i can cope with it next time ( it was unbearable at times and it had me in tears) especially as I’ll be ‘doubling up’ as such when I have cyclophoshamide as well. Not seen anyone else admit to this embarrassing problem so is it just me?

1 Like

Mojo3 I used sudocream during chemo and anosol to help with all the botty side effects that chemo can cause, do always check with your team to check it’s not an infection though and shame ion that nurse for being so utterly unsympathetic or helpful, im sorry to hear you were treated like that. Sending :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Imodium and upping your carbs can help with the runny bum might be worth a try :heart: hope this helps :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Thank you Shi - although i don’t want to criticise the nurses - they have been wonderful throughout so far. Perhaps I worded it wrong. But she did tell me NOT to put any creams on? I’ll certainly be asking questions about it before my next session, think it upset me so much (besides the embarrassment, as I couldn’t bring myself to tell my family the problem) as it was totally unexpected. I’ll know next time. Thanks for tip on Imodium and carbs x

1 Like

:heart:mojo3 glad you’ve reached out on here, chemo really is like doing the Malcolm McLaren double Dutch video that’s what I likened it to anyway, you just try your best and keep skipping as best you can :heart:glad to hear you have had care and support from your trust :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Hi @mojo3 this totally happened to me. I had 4 rounds on of docetaxel and I‘m afraid to say it happened every time but I was much more prepared 2nd time onwards. Mine wasn’t to do with diarrhoea - I did get this, but it wasn’t around my anus it was more a skin eruption, yes on the inside of my bum cheeks, but it felt as though it had it’s origin below the surface. I am afraid I didn’t ask the nurse and with my marvellous husband’s help, I used a haemorrhoid cream - one with local anaesthetic in applied twice even three times a day at the height - had lots of baths too. You can buy it without prescription. This was Aug - Nov 23. It usually started a few days after treatment, when I stopped the steroids & lasted a week to 10 days.

Anyway, I guess I’m saying you are not alone. It’s definitely a thing!

1 Like

Thanks Suedot. Is it awful of me to say I’m glad I’m not the only one?!
I too have a wonderful husband (he never even joked when I had to ask him one morning to look at my bum! :grinning:) and think I’ll take your advice and get some cream (even though the nurse told me not to - only someone who has suffered this can know how horrible it is)
Hope you’re on the road to recovery x