new here, husband has secondary breast cancer

Hi there,

I’m very new to this…never thought we would be back in this situation but unfortunately we are. My husband diagnosed with secondary breast cancer back in september, just approaching five years after the primary diagnosis and being given the all clear. It has spread to his spine and he is recovering from seperation surgery at the moment, with sabr radiotherapy due to start in a few weeks. 

we have three young children, my husband is 35 and i am 30. 

we have very much adopted the motto of keep plodding on, which is working well most of the time and we are managing to function within the realms of normality, however things are so tough at the moment and i dont know where to turn. 

He is on letrazole, zoladex and will be starting palbociclib in a few weeks too. I just dont know how we continue to function with this massive dark cloud above us. He is suffering so much with surgery recovery and horrific side effects of the hormone drugs…Im not even sure what im posting about here, I think I just needed to try and find people that understand my situation and can relate to what we are going through. Although family are amazing, none of them can quite fully understand what situation we as partners are dealing with. 

I hope this post doesnt sound all ‘woe is me’! Most days I am okay and I can keep my head up, but today its hitting me hard. 

Thanks for reading, I look forward to chatting with you all

xx

Hi Carly ,welcome to the forum .Im so sorry you are having to go through such a horrible time.You are entitled to vent your spleen and have good moan -life is just not very fair sometimes is it.There are lots of people in this forum still living full and active lives with secondary breast cancer some for many years after diagnosis .You may want to look at the secondary section of the forum for some advice and support also .Sending you both a big hug .Jill x

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Living-with-secondary-breast/ct-p/secondary_breast_cancer

has secondary breast cancer