New here, totally scared & catastrophising

Hi, I’m 42 & I’ve had some pain in the underside of my left breast which kept feeling like a pulsing ache, I saw the nurse practitioner Monday who has said she can feel a nodule in my breast and has referred me to the breast clinic. she said it could be a fatty lump or a cyst but I’m now completely freaking out about it especially as I’ve had some tightness in my chest recently and have struggled taking deep breaths sometimes without it hurting so now I keep thinking that it’s BC and it’s already spread to my lungs and thats why I have tightness. every pain I get I’m thinking it’s spreading.
I know I need to wait for the appointment to find out more but I just flip flop between being rational and all out scared - the wait for the appointment is awful & I keep thinking every minute I wait its getting worse. I’m just going to the worst case & I cant get away from that thinking I’m not going to see my boys grow up.
I wish I’d asked if it was big or not, I dont even know what a nodule is! I’m just struggling to cope, she said most of the referrals to breast clinic are to rule out things but it doesnt feel that way when I read other peoples stories, it seems everyone who has found a lump or had pain has been diagnosed with BC & I’m just so scared.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum .How you are feeling is totally understandable ,the not knowing is actually worse than knowing really because when you are told what’s going on you can start dealing with it .
the vast majority of breast lumps are not breast cancer, however you don’t find many people posting on forums whose lumps were benign as they don’t need the support . It is pretty unusual to be first diagnosed with breast cancer that has already spread to other parts of the body so you would be very unlucky for that to happen .Most breast cancers are very slow growing ,I was told mine had probably been there for at least 3 years before it was detected so it’s highly unlikely to be developing much while you wait .Finally if it is breast cancer it’s usually treated very successfully , it has very good outcomes and there are many new treatments available now for people whose cancer may have spread also .
Fingers crossed for a good clinic visit to hopefully put your mind at rest .

3 Likes

Ah I totally understand why you’re anxious and scared. Waiting for appointments, tests and results is the hardest thing to endure.

Most lumps and bumps are benign. Treatment for other outcomes are getting much better and easier to tolerate.

The BCN nurses on the helpline are very good at answering questions and talking through your worries. It’s tough so get the support you need - hopefully you’ll get good news or at least you will know what’s causing your symptoms.

I would strongly advise against Dr Google and stick to reliable sources of information such as BCN. I hope things get better for you.
Best wishes, Lisa G

2 Likes

Firstly I have a friend with lumpy breasts some have been fatty lumps some cysts.
I had a lump almost under my arm I also had a flu like infection. I was given antibiotics itcwent away and the lump went down. This happened 4 times over 6 months but the last time the lump stayed. I had no pain at all. That was the summer of 2006 and after a scan and biopsy it was confirmed as Cancer. My little girl asked if I was going to die and I said no I’d see her go to Prom. I did and she now has a 3 1/2 year old. You have to stay positive.

5 Likes

The waiting is really the worst . One minute you’re ok the next you’re a complete wreck . Jill is right - it’s actually easier when you know what you’re dealing with and what you need to do and when.

Try confiding in a good friend or two that can be trusted - don’t tell everyone just yet. While you’re waiting for your appointment try to keep busy , if you can then do things that normally make you happy so that you can forget even if only for a little while. Take one day at a time . We all go off down a rabbit hole sometimes but if you are familiar with mindfulness , abdominal breathing , Yoga that may help you control your thoughts and bring you back to the here and now.

I’ve recently talked to friends/ colleagues who have had be investigated but were diagnosed with something benign . Nobody talks about it as they feel they don’t have a right to moan about how scared they were at the time because they turned out to be negative . But if you get BC they often then tell you because although they haven’t experienced the BC they have experienced the fear - like you are doing now.

Take care and sending love
Joanne. X

2 Likes

Hi @devilrach99
I so empathise with your fear, thinking the absolute worst and just wanting that appointment to be right now so you can know either way. It’s absolutely understandable and I totally agree with all the replies you’ve had so far. Indeed three women I spoke to after my biopsy - two friends and my sister - told me about their experiences of having investigations done and the worry they went through. Two were cysts that had to be drained and one was just an enlarged gland which showed up due to a bit of weight loss.
As already suggested, do try to keep busy and keep your mind away from those rabbit holes. You can’t really do anything until you know for sure what’s going on which is frustrating.
Also as already said, anything malignant won’t be growing so quickly that there would be any change in between appointments.
I would recommend taking a friend or family member with you to appointments as biopsies can be pretty brutal and of course the anxiety of hearing the result will be intense, so support, both physical and emotional, are essential.
I agree with others that even if it is the dreaded Big C, treatments are highly effective nowadays and whatever happens, you will definitely see your boys grow up.
I don’t know of this will be helpful or not but, my asthma definitely kicked up around the time I was having tests and eventual diagnosis. I also worried that it had already spread but it had not and was killed with chemo before it ever got the chance. The tightness may have been to do with the physical changes going on in my body but it definitely wasn’t cancer.

I wish you all the strength and solidarity at this horrible time. Please try to stay optimistic and keep an open mind when you go to collect your results, without reading any horror stories about the Big C!
All the very best :hugs::fist:

2 Likes

Hi Jill, unfortunately De nova is becoming more common. I was diagnosed last year stage 4 at 49 no symptoms what so ever already had spread all down my spine and right hip. No physical lump in my breast, the only thing at that time i was dealing with was a rash brought on by the covid Jab. I had an allergic reaction. I went for my yearly mammogram as i always had as a precaution due to family history always been clear until last September they said my lymph nodes were up, could be the jab but then saw something suspicious and within 3 weeks i was told you are stage 4. Unfortunately with 3 lines of treatment already its spread to my liver and lung. I am on my 2nd clinical trial so i am hoping it will work. I am fighting hard as i have two teenagers. I think this forum is amazing for support, I pray for all the sisters. 🩷

4 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to come back on and say that I had my breast clinic appointment today and after a mammogram they have said that it is all normal and I have been discharged.
the relief is huge and I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and support and I wish you all well.
thanks x

4 Likes

Hi again @devilrach99

That is great news , :person_raising_hand: so pleased for you and thank you for coming on a d letting us know :blush: .

Joanne. X

This is wonderful news, sorry late reply i have just seen the message. Sending a big hug over from Oz all the best lovely xx​:tada::bouquet::revolving_hearts: