New Member - HER2+ with lung mets

Hi All,

Im 46 and diagnosed with breast cancer in May this year, then two weeks later with lung mets, ive had 5 courses of docetaxel, perjeta and herceptin which has so far worked and shrunk the lung mets, the hardest part is trying to get my head round it all. I have a 17 year old son and i just dont know what the future holds and it scares me terribly. I want to see him settle and see some grandchildren but feel like i have had my future taken away. I spend days sobbing, i seem to have lost my confidence and would rather stay at home and not go anywhere. My oncologist didnt want me to work through my chemo as i work in a school, i am trying so hard to live with secondary cancer but failing miserably at the moment, im on anti depressants and take lorazepam on really bad days, i am seeing a counsellor but and advice would be greatly appreciated on how to just get through every day.

Many Thanks

Oh my lovely. My heart goes out to you. I cannot imagine the shock and torment you must be going through. I haven’t got 2ndary BC so best for one of those brave ladies to offer you words of wisdom, I just didn’t want to leave your post unanswered. Try not to look too far ahead, take each day, each hour, each minute as it comes, it becomes more manageable that way.
Thinking of you, wishing I could help. xx

Hi Leighstacey

It sounds like you’re having a pretty tough time at the moment.  As well as the support you recieve here you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your fears and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi
I just had to reply to your post even though it’s past my bedtime :wink: I randomly saw it in the ‘new members’ part of the forum and to be honest, even though I’ve been a member for nearly 7 years I didn’t know this part existed! So a quick reply to me to say please have a look at the secondaries part of the forum, there are plenty of ladies on there with lung mets and also some who have also had the same as you with your primary and secondary dx coming so close together, also others, like me, who are on the same chemo combination.
If you post the same post, ie copy and paste, into a new thread in the secondaries part I am sure you will find you get a lot of support from ladies who know exactly how you feel and what you are going through.
Sorry this is so short and sweet but I can add more tomorrow here if I haven’t seen you add anything elsewhere.
Take care
Nicky x

I know it’s hard at the moment, know also that the chemo really doesn’t help with your mental state. It really interferes with how your feeling. I felt that the cancer could also have created my huge depression. Counselling CBT really helped, I am moving to mindfulness in the new year.