New primary diagnosis in other breast

Hello, I had a talk with a breast care nurse yesterday afternoon, where she told me that I have a new cancer in my other breast. Well, two areas, one invasive and the other non-invasive. This was after being called in to have some further exams after a routine mammogram. The doctor said he wasn’t overly concerned, as the shapes didn’t indicate anything of great concern on the second and magnified X-rays, nor could he find anything during ultrasound. The diagnosis was made from two biopsies.

The nurse gave me a lot of information, which was good, and I did appreciate her calm approach. She reassured me that the proposed mastectomy was because of the size and amount of areas of concern. I know she cannot answer the why or how. I really know that there is no answer to that. I’m glad that it is new and hasn’t spread from my left breast, but I’m a bit shocked to tell the truth. In a very mixed up way, because my previous diagnosis was in 1994 and I thought that was so well in the past and it just never, ever occurred to me that you get could get a new primary diagnosis.

I’m perplexed, even though I’ve been told about what will happen next. Have I gone round with my head in the clouds all these years? Will it really be better than last time, when I didn’t have a mastectomy but did have chemo, radiotherapy and tamoxifen? Have other women reacted in a similar way?

Hi Sharlea

I’m so sorry you’ve found yourself in this position - again. It’s not fair, is it?

I’ve had three primary BC diagnoses, over the course of 20 years. In my case there’s maybe a bit more ‘cause’ than usual (I’m at high risk for reasons), but still, the second one in particular was after a 15 year gap and took the knees out from under me - it’s the reverse of winning the lottery more than once.

The really good news: medical advances have been made since you last had to go through this. Things are improving all the time, so it will be different from your last treatment. Plus, you’ve been there and done that and you KNOW you can survive this! Yes, your emotions will still be all over the place, but you don’t have to face quite the fear of the unknown that people facing this for the first time have piled on top of everything.

Please feel free to reach out - to me (here or pm), or just the forum in general - about all aspects of this. I had my mastectomy in January this year, and there’s so much to ask and consider. I won’t bombard you with info, but I hope knowing that you’re not alone in having had multiple primaries is of some small comfort, at least.

Take care xx

Well, this is me again, with an update, so not a reply as such.

I saw the surgeon a week ago today. He confirmed proposed mastectomy, along with likely chemo and radiotherapy, followed by hormone therapy, and a referral to genetics as now bilateral occurrences. I have two areas of concern - a grade 3 invasive and a high grade dcis, with possible micro invasions, ER+ and HER2 neg.

I was told, beforehand, that I would find out surgery date at that appointment. Surgeon confirmed this and then told me he would let me know later on during the appointment. However, bcn returned to say no date arranged, will let me know, probably end of month. Also, need to come in for pre ops, have covid test and then self isolate.

Two days later, I received a copy of the letter sent to my gp, a genetic doctor and another surgeon, in which it stated that the other surgeon probably has the next available slot.

I am still waiting for some news, of something. Just looked at the calendar and had a bit of a realisation that it’s two and a half weeks to end of month.

Am feeling a bit apprehensive. Is this usual? I was ok till looked at the calendar.

I am going thru a similar thing as I have had a new primary diagnosis in my right breast - triple negative.  20 years ago I had oestrogen positive in left breast!  Although it was mentioned all those years ago that it could return in the other breast I didn’t really think I would be that unlucky!   I have been offered a single mastectomy but would prefer a double as will to go through it again if genes testing comes back positive for Faulty BRAC gene!   Breast cancer now appears to run in my family as two aunties and my younger sister have also had breast cancer! 

have you been offered a double mastectomy or single? Hope you don’t mind me asking!