New second primary

Hello - I am posting for the first time. I had ER and PR positive and Her2 negative IDC in 11/2021 and had lumpectomy with no radiation or chemo. Tried anastrazole for one month and quit. Now, 2/24, diagnosed with new primary - biopsied a spot that had been there in 2021 but not biopsied then. Considering a mastectomy since it is my left breast near my heart and don’t want radiation if doing lumpectomy. Stressed and worried. Had oophorectomy in Feb 2024 and found a small cancer in my ovary, Thank God, it was caught early. Dr wants me to do hormone therapy after mastectomy. My question, is that the protocol after mastectomy? It is just so terrible, joint pain, fatigue, headaches.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum , sounds like you have had a rough ride the last few years . Could you speak to your Oncologist about trying Tamoxifen rather than an AI ? They work in a different way and you might find you get on with it better re side effects ,you can take it post menopause as well as Anastrozole and it’s sister drugs .

1 Like

Please take the hormone therapy I have done for five years five more to go just had 5th clear mammogram…

Hi @thora902

Sorry you find yourself in this position again. BC is so rubbish.

Just FYI, a mastectomy doesn’t mean you will avoid radiotherapy. I’m seeing my oncologist next week after a 3 month wait since my surgery, and the plan I’m told is for RT and AIs, joy!

I am told by the breast care nurses that I will avoid chemo as an Oncotype DX test came back with a score below 25 (18) - I am 59, so that is the threshold for me. I won’t fully believe this until I hear the conchologist say it.

Still I want to be alive, so I’m going for everything they offer.

Karen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Susanmanchester - what kind of AI are you on? Do you have any side effects? If so, how do you manage it?

thanks for your reply

Letrozole no bad side effects . I walk a lot eat low sugar diet and hope for best

1 Like