Newbie Club

Can I join this new club, have never been on forum before, but there’s a first time for everything.

I was diagnosed yesterday, still in shock, usual things flying through my head why me, what have I done wrong. Family and friends being very considerate, but its me that got it.

I would like to speak with some in the same boat, to see what I am feeling is the same.

Anne99

Hi Anne99

I’m so sorry about your diagnosis and am glad you’ve chosen to come here. I have found valuable support here (wish I’d started writing before treatment as could have saved a whole lot of obsessing!) and I know you will too.

If you scroll through all of the subjects on the left, you’ll find lots of different threads and all the ladies here are wonderful and, most importantly, have all ‘been there’. These threads aren’t ‘clicky’ and you can always join in a discussion.

When you’re ready, you can, if you wish, share the type of diagnosis so that any ladies here with similar diagnosis can help.

Wishing you all the best. Lots of love. Cathy x

Oh, Anne, welcome to the boards, so sorry you’ve had to join us - but it’s a great place for support, information, and to let off steam. We’ve all been down that same path - although the actual experience is very different for all of us, of course. But we all recognise that initial shock, disbeleif - almost dissociation, as if suddenly there are two of you, the person you’ve always known, and this poor, terrified little creature who’s scared she’s going to die before she’s used up all the milk in the fridge.

Oddly, we all seem to find that it starts to feel better once you have your treatment plan, and can get started. You can begin to feel you’re getting a bit more control, and fighting back against the nasty little b*gger.

Hi Anne. so sorry you had to join us darl, but as the others have said there is great support here, and lots to read up on to help take the mystery out of a lot of it. I still struggle with abbreviations LOL but learning all the while.
I think the waiting is the very worst. Once you have a treatment plan you feel like your fighting back iyswim ?
Thinking of you darl xxx

Dear Anne,

I’m so pleased to see you’ve already had a lot of support from the other users of this site. I just wanted to add that our Helpline staff are able to offer a “listening ear” and are there for information and support. The Helpline is open from 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am - 2.00pm on Saturdays.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Facilitator

Hi Anne

Sorry you’ve had to join us but welcome.
Have found some of the threads can be a bit scarry but overall I have had so much usefull information from this site. All from people who’ve been or are going through it, much more practical than some of the medical staff can give.
As the others have said think the first few weeks are a bit of a blur, but it does get better and once your on your treatment path and fighting it seams to make things easier.
All the best
g

Hi Anne,

How are you doing? So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It is very scary where you are right now, I remember only too well. I was diagnosed just over a month ago and remember feeling like a rabbit caught in headlights. I wasn’t sure which way to turn.

This site is really helpful in that respect though and I found getting the answers to all those unanswered questions so important. Remember to use/call your Breast Cancer Nurses (BCN) for this too, mine have been worth their weight in gold and answered so many (sometimes seemingly trivial) questions. At first I was worried they would think I was silly but soon realised that is what they are there for and they really are fanastic at putting your mind at rest.

I did read a little too much for my own good back then and now I only read what seems relevant to the here and now otherwise my mind goes into overdrive.

I really hope you have a lot of support around you and that you are managing to get your head around things. Feel free to message me if you would like to know anything. I am 2 weeks into my treatment plan and have started with Chemo… It does feel better knowing I am on the way to getting rid of it.

Take care of yourself Annie and try to take things one step at a time.

Tam xxx

Dear Anne

So sorry you have been dx - but you are in the right place. I was dx on 15/7 and am awaiting surgery on 6/08. The last two weeks have been surreal - you really can only go with the flow. The uncertainty and mystery is soooooooooo scary. I have read and re-read so many posts and articles but the information has not really sunk in as I still cannot put myself into any particular slot - and even when you do it looks like there are more surprises around the corner, lurking. The waiting and coming to terms with having CANCER is the hardest thing at first - being in an almost permanent state of anxiety. My husband is taking it all in his stride but I know he is worried (he lost his sister to BC many year ago and another close friend to cancer 12 years ago. You have to keep positive but scary thoughts creep in and take over sometimes.
Try and do something fun - we took my nephew out to Southend yesterday and watching him having fun on the rides really cheered me up and I forgot I had BC for some of the time. Lack of sleep and worry can make you exhausted too so I hope you are able to sleep. I am working up to next Wed and that helps too wen I am not feeling an emotional wreck. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Lyn xxx hugs