Hi everyone,
I’m new here and hoping to connect with people who have been through, or are currently going through, chemotherapy.
I was recently diagnosed with triple positive breast cancer (HER2 positive, ER positive, PR positive). My tumour is 21mm and my lymph nodes are clear, which I’m very grateful for.
My treatment plan is to start with:
3 cycles of EC chemotherapy (Epirubicin and Cyclophosphamide)
Followed by 3 cycles of Docetaxel with Phesgo (trastuzumab and pertuzumab)
Then surgery, where they will check how well the treatment has worked
After that, I’ll continue with HER2 treatment and hormone (endocrine) therapy as advised
I’m due to start treatment soon and I have to admit I’m feeling quite nervous about what to expect, especially the first few cycles.
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had EC or a similar treatment plan:
How did you find your first chemo cycle?
What side effects surprised you?
What helped you get through the difficult days?
Is there anything you wish you had known before starting?
I’m trying to take everything one step at a time, but it would mean a lot to hear from people who understand what this journey feels like.
Thank you for reading, and I’m grateful for any advice or support you can share. ![]()
Hi @rihana I’m also Grade 3 with HER2 but ER and PR negative with a 30mm tumour and not in my lymph nodes and started treatment in May with my 3rd chemo today and have them every 3 weeks. It’s absolutely daunting in the beginning but once you get started for me it’s been doable and keeping positive really helps. I’m doing Docetaxel and Caroplatin and different HER2 drugs to you. For me I have had lots of sickness and dry skin but today am getting different sickness tablets. The nurses are great and really listen - if you think something is wrong just tell them and they act really quickly. Drink lots of fluids and if you do feel sick it actually helps eating. There are monthly chemo groups on here and I look at different months as everyone has such great advice. Good luck with your treatment - you can do this xxx
Hi @rihana
I have had EC and found the first cycle the hardest, as I didn’t know what to expect and it hit me quite hard. Others have found it easier, so fingers crossed that you’re in this group! Either way, it is absolutely doable.
The worst side effect for me was nausea, and the biggest thing I wish I knew was to take the anti-nausea meds regularly as instructed, as they work better as a preventative medicine rather than a cure. I was only taking them after I’d started feeling sick, which made them less effective.
Tell your chemo nurses all of your side effects, as there are different anti-sickness meds available, and different options for any other side effects you may have - there is usually something to help.
Rest as much as you need to, but try and get some fresh air and exercise every day if you can - it really does help.
Write down your side effects every day, e.g. day 1, day 2 etc, as it’s really helpful on the second and following cycles to look back on for comparison and to know what to expect. The first cycle is always going to be the most daunting and it’s much easier when you know what to expect.
Join the monthly chemo thread for your month to meet others going through it at the same time. The support and advice was phenomenal for me.
And most importantly, take all the help you’re offered, and if you’re not offered then tell people what you need, whether that’s help with housework, dinner made for you, or a shoulder to cry on.
I hope that doesn’t all sound too negative or scary, it’s honestly not once you get going, and you will have days (usually at the end of the current cycle) where you feel well/normal.
Wishing you the best and lots of luck with it all.
Lisa x
Hi Lisa,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share your experience with me. It really helps hearing from people who have already been through EC and understand the worries that come with starting treatment.
I actually had my first EC yesterday, so I’m now officially on this journey. So far I’m doing okay. I’ve been really on top of my anti-sickness medication and steroids, taking them as instructed, so I’m hoping that helps. I know it’s still early days though, and I’m waiting to see if any side effects kick in over the next couple of days.
Thank you for the advice about taking the anti-sickness medication regularly rather than waiting until I feel sick. That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, and I’ll definitely keep following the schedule.
I also really like your suggestion of writing down side effects day by day. I think that will help me feel more prepared for the next cycles and understand what my own pattern is.
The fear of the unknown was honestly the hardest part for me. Before starting treatment my mind was imagining the worst, but now I’ve had the first one done, I feel a little more reassured. It’s still a big journey, but I’m trying to take it one day at a time.
My breast cancer nurse said something that really helped me. She told me to think of this as just one chapter in a book — a chapter I never wanted written, but one I need to get through so I can move on to a new chapter afterwards.
I have 3 boys, and telling them was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. They are a big reason I’m determined to get through this and come out the other side.
Thank you again for your advice and reassurance. It really helps knowing that it is doable and that there are things we can do to make the journey a little easier. I’ll definitely remember to rest when I need to, accept help, and look after myself.
Wishing you all the best and thank you again for your kindness. ![]()
Rihana x
Hi, I’ve recently completed 8 rounds of dose dense chemo for ER/PR+ HER2- BC. I underwent surgery (mastectomy and reconstruction) as my first treatment (February) and then started my chemo on 26th March with my final dose on 2nd July. Like you, I was nervous about starting and was worried about the side effects. I found chemo to be very manageable and continued to run through all of my treatment. My side effects were mild and basically consisted of heartburn and some fatigue with the EC and leg pain days 3-7 with the Paclitaxel, also a rash on my hand after the first dose of pac, which was a one off and didn’t reappear with subsequent rounds.
Take snacks, water and something to entertain you. Try not to worry too much about it and be sure to detail all side effects to your chemo nurses, they’re there to help you! Good luck x
Hi Rihana,
Telling the children was the hardest part for me too. Mine were 16, 12 and 12; old enough to understand, but young enough to still really need their mum. There have been times they had to look after me during chemo, getting me food or drinks, or doing simple chores, but weirdly I think this helped them feel useful and a bit more in control of the situation.
Anyway, I’m so glad you’ve got the first dose under your belt, on to the countdown now!
It sounds like you are doing absolutely brilliantly, with the chemo and with everything else. Just make sure people take care of you too ![]()
Lisa x