newly diagnosed

hi my name is lynette im 33 years old i’ve just been diagnosied BC on the 11/07/2008. ive seen my oncologist today who suggested i start chemo which will last for 6months. My lump is 2.8cm and i have a swollen lymph node aswell, i had a core biopsy done today and am going to have a ctscan and bone scan ant the end of the month. I have two lovely children aged 11 and 14. i’m hoping i can getsome support from this forum.

Hi Lynette and welcome to the forums,

I am sure you will receive support and information from your fellow uers shortly. In addition, Breast Cancer Care have written a ‘Resources Pack’ for anyone newly diagnosed with breast cancer which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can order a free copy from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via our helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

There is information in the pack about our other support services, including our helpline which is on 0808 800 6000, you may find this useful to use at some point if you need to talk anything through, or just need someone to lend an understanding ear. Alternatively, if you prefer you can use email: <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

Best wishes
Lucy

Netty33

so sorry hun that you are here …you will get lots of surpport on here it as been a god send for me…
i was dx on may 2nd had 2 opps and now on chemo…and im ok …

you take care and keep your chin up …i know it’s a scary time but there is so much they can do for breast cancer

thank god

well bye for now

take it easy
sal x

Hi Netty

Sorry you have had to join us here but you will get an amazing amount of support from all the ppl on here.

I was dx in Jan and had surgery 1st - they talked about chemo and rads but in the end I was given rads and tamoxifen.

It’s really scary att he start and there is so much information to take in that your head will be spinnging. Try to take it one step at a time … that way it’s easier to deal with.

Love Lilac

Hi Netty,
So sorry that you have become eligible for membership in this club - but it’s a good place to come for comfort, support and the kind of information that health carers sometimes don’t think is important, but which is pretty big in our everyday lives. You might like to check out the other recent members (on ‘have I got breast cancer?’) and their posts and answers - you will see that you are far from alone in your predicament. All the comments and responses which have gone down there are extended to you as well, of course - & perhaps you’d like to exchange direct chat with others in your present stage?

Stay in touch and let us know how your tests go - we’ll all be rooting for you (a fairly nasty expression, but there we are). I know I can speak for everyone here when I say that big hugs and empathy pour out to you from us all.

M-L xx

Heya lynette.

You’ll get lots of help here, and those of us who have done or are doing chemo will help you through it.

There’s some good news because you’re so young. I’m also 33 and currently on chemo and the nurse said because I was so young and generally healthy they can use the full dose on me so I’m having a full course of FEC 100 which is the highest. She said they think of this as a currative dose in early caught cancers which I hope yours will turn out to be, but whatever happens we’re here and that in itself is testament to the treatment available and communtiy that exists here.

So sorry you’ve had to join us but the best of luck and there’s so much info and help here as well as some very wonderful women (and a few men too).

lots of love

Angie

Hi Lynette, just echoing all that the other ladies have said and just want to send you lots of love and positive vibes

Bridie

xx

Hi Lynette,

I’m not so different from you. I’m 30 years old and was diagnosed in March. I just started posting here today - although I’ve been reading a lot. My tumour size is/was 4.1cm - scared the **** out of me. My biopsy result for lymph node glands was positive too. But when I went for the bone and ct scan my lymph nodes were clear (my understanding is that this means my lymph nodes are very dodgy but currently just about ok!) Anyway when it comes to surgery my lymph nodes will probably be removed. I don’t know a huge amount but it seems to me that they do this if there’s even the slightest suggestion of involvement so in a sense there’s no point worrying hugely about it at this stage - lymph node involvement is still considered localised in any case.

I’m also having chemo prior to surgery. I’ve had five of six Taxotere. I’ve only had physical examinations since the first scans etc but everybody whose ‘had a feel’ seems to think the chemotherapy is working well. Having chemo first also enables the doctors to see or measure how well the chemo is working so although its difficult knowing the cancer is there inside you at least there’s the reassurance of knowing whether or not its working (there’s lots of different treatments if you don’t respond to the first).

I’ve had very little in the way of side effects. My hair has fallen out but this is ok - I wear a scarf or wig in public but there’s a part of me that likes touching my bald head! I think its kind of sexy! Also my white cell counts went way down my first chemo, but I have injections that fix this now and they work well. So all in all, other than not having hair and being a little tired occasionally, I feel mostly fine. I understand that I am lucky in this way but there’s no harm in posting that some people are!

Hope it all works out for you! From what I know about you we have some stuff in common so if I can help you out with any info etc just give me a shout.

Good luck.

M