Nipple pain after nipple sparing mastectomy

Hi, I had a nipple sparing mastectomy three weeks ago.  The operation went well however since that time I’ve had a kind of scratching pain behind the nipple.  I feel it the moment my arm moves and even when breathing so you can imagine it’s constant!  The nipple seems to have no sensation on the outside just on the inside.  It is quite painful and no medication seems to touch it.  I’m not sure if it’s the nerves mending, or nerve damage or what it is.  I’m currently wearing the bra I was advised to wear post surgery 24/7.  The only time I take it off is when I take a shower.  At that point the irritation/pain seems to subside so I’m thinking is it the bra pressing the back side of the nipple against the implant?   If it is, how can the wound inside heal if it is being constantly irritated by rubbing against the implant.  If anyone has experienced this or anything similar I would love to hear from you.  Thanks.  

Hi Sunny, I have a similar thing to you. A week ago I had a mastectomy with reconstruction and a reduction on the opposite side with the nipple being re-sited. It is driving me crazy with itching, but I understand this is a normal sign of healing. Hopefully it will pass shortly. Try and see it as a positive sign as if there was no feeling in the nipple at all then that would feel even stranger. Good luck with your recovery.

P.s - I don’t believe the nipple will be anywhere near the implant, so just the nerves knitting together.